site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Light up the Holidays with Lee

Looking for some extra decorating ideas for the holidays? Need a last-minute hostess gift? Try making a festive little candle lamp from a wine glass.

This has my holiday DIY project and it’s turned out to be a lot of fun. I bought a bunch of thrift store wineglasses ranging in price from twenty-five to ninety-nine cents, sheets of vellum and semi-transparent holiday giftwrap, a package of tealight candles and a glue stick—and I was set.

I also have some decorative scissors and a cherub hole punch, and now for fun I’ve started to add some trim to the base of the wine glasses. It’s also a great way to use up stray beads and scraps of ribbon.

Want to try making some of your own? You’ll find lampshade templates here, here and here. Most shades can be cut from an 8.5" x 11" sheet of paper, although you’ll need to adjust the depth of shade to accommodate a taller glass.

Let’s light up the holidays together!

xoxo
Lee

PS: To celebrate the holidays and the July 2010 release of Firefighter Daddy, my next Harlequin American Romance, I’m running a December contest on my blog, The Writer Side of Life. The prize is an autographed 2010 firefighter calendar and other goodies to be determined.

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

At 8:55 AM, Blogger Rachel said...

I love these lamps!

Never knew why someone would buy a cherub hole punch, but now I do.

I think the lamps will also make great centrepieces for a Valentine's or birthday dinner – anything that calls for fun and maybe a llittle romance! What a great excuse to check out the handmade papers in local card and gift shops!

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger Lee McKenzie said...

Definitely an all-occasion craft, Rachel!

And FYI, the little cherubs produced by the hole punch make great confetti to sprinkle on a table cloth, around the base of a pillar candle, etc.

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger Mo H said...

How clever, Lee!

I made bows today and refurbished some old faded wreaths. It's a DIY kind of day!

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger Terry McLaughlin said...

What a fun idea, Lee :-)! Love the photos. This is one project I'll have to try :-).

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

How cute are those!

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger Diane Gaston said...

You are so clever, Lee! These are darling.

 
At 11:56 PM, Blogger Lee McKenzie said...

Maureen, I'll bet your wreaths look fresh and new again!

 
At 11:57 PM, Blogger Lee McKenzie said...

Thanks, Terry, Trish and Diane! Happy holidays!

 
At 6:21 AM, Blogger Gillian Layne said...

This such a neat idea. My girls would love to do it, too. And I bet these would be very cute modified to fit different holidays, especially Halloween and pretty pink or red for Valentines day.

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

Wow, Lee, you are creative. I love making handmade things like this. Thanks so much for sharing!

The lamps are very nice!

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger Lee McKenzie said...

Gillian, if you and your girls try making these, I hope you have lots of fun with them.

And you're so right about the differnt holiday possibilities. One of the sites that has a template suggests using them as wedding centerpieces.

I hadn't thought of Hallowe'en, but what a great idea!

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger Lee McKenzie said...

Thanks, Theresa! I used to a lot more crafty stuff when my kids were young. I wish I knew where I found the time!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]