site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Monday, November 16, 2009

Thanks to Harlequin!

In this month of Thanksgiving, I thought I'd say a special Thank You to Harlequin Enterprises.

1. Thank you, Harlequin, for supporting genre fiction for over 100 years. Mills & Boon, the UK branch of Harlequin, celebrated their 100th anniversary in 2008, and Harlequin is celebrating its 60th anniversary this year. Think of all the pleasure readers received because of this commitement to genre fiction. My The Vanishing Viscountess was a featured book in Mills & Boon's 100 year celebration, and The Diamonds of Welbourne Manor was a featured book in Harlequin's "Diamond" anniversary.
In honor of their 60th anniversary, Harlequin has released some of its vintage books, and vintage office products to go witht them. These are available in bookstores and at eHarlequin.


2. Thank you, Harlequin, for embracing romance fiction. "Harlequin Enterprises sell over 130 million books worldwide each year - approximately 4 books per second" (from
Mills and Boon Australia ). By embracing romance fiction, Harlequin has spread the joy and optimism that are hallmarks of the genre. They have sent the message out over and over and over that love can heal; love can triumph over adversity. They've provided models of what good romantic relationships should be, based on respect and equality.

3. Thank you Harlequin for providing the means for so many authors (Amanda and me, included) to tell their stories and to make money for it. Harlequin has over 1,100 authors worldwide, and has given such industry giants as Nora Roberts an opportunity to break into print and hone their craft.

4. Finally, thank you, Harlequin, for giving me my chance. The day I received "The Call" from Mills & Boon was one of the happiest in my life. Not every day does someone make your dreams come true.

I didn't learn to love Romance by sneaking my mother's Harlequin books, like so many of us. I didn't realize what a wonderful wealth of fiction there was at Harlequin until I started writing and actually started reading Harlequins. (I found some of those early Nora Roberts books and loved them!) I always sign up to judge the series categories of the RITA contest, even though, you know me--the world's worst read romance writer--, I don't read much more than my friend Darlene Gardner's Superromances nowadays. And Harlequin Historicals, of course.



What role has Harlequin played in your life? I'll bet it's touched you somehow!

Come visit my website and see what's new. Enter my contest.

My latest, Gallant Officer, Forbidden Lady is available at eHarlequin right now. On store shelves Dec 1.

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

At 11:28 AM, Blogger Mo H said...

Diane,
I love the happily ever afters Harlequin continues to provide, book after book. When I'm having a bad day, reading about characters I care about falling in love puts me in a better frame of mind. I can't wait to read your December release!!!

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger Judy said...

Harlequin shaped my world in so many ways. They taught me what a healthy romance is and isn't. Most of my favorite writers write for Harlequin, so it's easy for me to know when their next release is coming out, three months in advance. Anticipation can be fun. Their books are affordable and wide ranging, which means I've done a lot of fun exploring. And I can hardly wait to read your newest book, Diane!

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger Gillian Layne said...

The Gallant Waif was my first Harlequin book, and I was so hooked I joined several of their book clubs. I just love them.

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger Diane Gaston said...

Mo and Judy, thanks for the nice words about my book.

Gillian, I so remember when Gallant Waif came out. Ann Gracie is friends with some of my Australian friends and the conference that Gallant Waif was a RITA finalist, we were trying to meet in person. We managed one quick hug, both hurrying to something else.

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger Louisa Cornell said...

Harlequin has been my friend and entertainment for more years than I care to remember! They've provided happily ever afters for me to believe in during some of the darkest moments of my life. Harlequin has also presented a standard by which I continue to measure my own writing. AND best of all Harlequin has published some of the best historical romance writers on the planet including the Divine Diane Gaston, my buddy Amanda McCabe, my dear friend Nicola Cornick and countless others. And Diane, your December release is on its way to my door as we speak!

 
At 12:51 AM, Blogger Delle Jacobs said...

Yay, Diane! I'll hop right over and get it right now! I love the Harlequin Mills & Boon romances, and I love their innovative and forward-moving spirit.

Delle

 
At 1:07 AM, Blogger Diane Gaston said...

Louisa and Delle, thank you!

 
At 7:56 AM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

Congratulations to Harlequin AND Diane! And raising my glass to another 100 years! Woohoo! Love the pics, Diane.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]