site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Holiday Family Gatherings-- Putting the FUN in Dysfunctional

My family is loud, funny, moody, talkative, expressive, exhausting, invigorating, stressful, delightful... I think you get the picture. A mixed bag, that's a blast to open.

We're spread out all over the US--from the Pacific to Mountain to Central to Eastern time zones. Boy, it's a bummer when my dad forgets about that and wakes you up on the only Saturday you have to sleep in all month. :-) But he calls with love.

And that's the big bow keeping our "mixed bag" tied together and looking pretty-- Love.

Through all the comedy film highlight reels of family disagreements or fiascos, the lost child at Disney (don't worry, we found her, getting the ride of her life on a circa 1940's car, driving down Main Street calling out for us on a megaphone), the adolescent attitudes, the aging process and all it's delights ... you name, or write about it, and we've probably experienced it... when push comes to shove, I know my family has my back. They know I've got theirs.

Did you ever see that Disney show called "Even Stephens"? The siblings were at each other's throats more often than not. Yet let one outsider try to pull a punch, and the entire family rallied around each other. Just like mine.

So, are your family get-togethers reminiscent of "Leave It to Beaver", "The Brady Bunch", "Roseanne", or a conglomeration of several?

I'd love to hear about your crazy family, or your normal family (though, who's to say what exactly IS normal?), or what you're looking forward to doing for FUN with your dysfunctional family this holiday season.

I'm thankful for my crazy bunch, and even excited for the 14 hour drive to see them. :-)

What about you?

5 Comments:

At 9:42 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Ah, mhy family...now there's a story. Three siblings who never really got along--and then came the kids and grandkids. I can't get enough of them. Now there's a new baby on the way, adding to the fun.

Ain't nothin' better!

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger Diane Gaston said...

My sisters and I are still close and my kids still think it is important to spend TG and Christmas with their parents and grandparents.

 
At 10:21 PM, Blogger Prisakiss said...

New babies have a way of bringing folks together, focusing on new life, new love, and the wonderful smell of a clean baby and baby powder. :-)

Diane, I hope all your kids are able to make it home for the holidays!

 
At 11:35 PM, Blogger Diane Gaston said...

hahahahahaha, be careful what you wish for, Pris! BOTH my kids are home now, living here. My daughter is back in college (yay) and my son lost the house he shares. What I've noticed is that the grocery bill is much higher; I need to do dishes more often, and we use up a lot of toilet paper!

 
At 6:11 AM, Blogger Mo H said...

Pris,
My siblings and I (except my sister)are spread out across the country, too. Thanksgiving is usually spent with my husband's family since we are busy with Nutcracker that weekend. His aunt is so wonderful. She lets me decide what to bring, and she does the bulk of the cooking. My brother and sisters made an agreement years ago that we'd all make it to my parents house for the 26th of December to celebrate Christmas together. However, that agreement seems to have gone by the wayside now that my siblings are having children. That saddens me because we'd laugh through dinner and the stocking opening.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]