site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Cookies, Cakes and Pies…Oh, My!

It’s that time of year again! Frosted cookies, pumpkin pies and gingerbread men with red sugary eyes!

As I’ve mentioned in the past, every year my sisters and I get together with our daughters and mother and sister-in-laws, and we bake cookies. Lots of cookies. After a long and wonderful day of stirring and mixing and tasting, we pack up plates of cookies for our friends and neighbors and always end up with enough cookies to freeze for the holidays!

I love cookies and it’s hard for me to pick my favorites, but I must say that the peanut butter cookies with the chocolate Hershey’s kiss in the middle are top on my list. I also love chocolate chip cookies packed with nuts and chunks of chocolate. I love adding extra dashes of cloves and cinnamon to the oatmeal cookie mixture…yummy!

The other day I looked in the Wet Noodle Posse archives for delicious recipes and found:

A wonderful recipe for Chocolate Nut Caramels Nut by Merrillee Whren: http://www.wetnoodleposse.com/archives/Dec_2004/stuff.html#recipes

Crunchy Peanut Butter Cookies by Lorelle Marinello, Pistachio Fingers by Trish Milburn, Almond-Rosewater Cookies by Janet Mullany and more recipes here!

Cookie day with my family this year will be on December 6th and I would love it if any of you have a delicious cookie recipe that you wouldn’t mind sharing. Any type of cookie would be great. I could really use a fabulous gingerbread cookie recipe. Something chewy and delicious!

Happy Baking!

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 6:11 AM, Blogger Gillian Layne said...

This is from the Semi-Homemade lady on the Food Network (I love her easy shortcuts.)

Gingerbread cookies:

* 1 package sugar cookie mix
* 1 egg
* 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
* 1/4 cup melted butter
* 2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
* 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
* 1/4 cup dark molasses
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* Royal Icing
* 2 large egg whites or 5 tablespoons meringue powder
* 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 3 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
* Food coloring, if desired

For Gingerbread Cookies:
Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large mixing bowl, blend all ingredients together and chill for up to 1 hour. Roll dough out on floured board about 1/8-inch thick. Cut desired shapes with cookie cutters and place onto sheet pan. Bake for 8 minutes in preheated oven.
For Royal Icing:

With a hand mixer, beat the egg whites with the lemon juice or extract until frothy. Add the sifted powdered sugar and beat on low speed until combined, smooth, and shiny. Turn to high and beat approximately 5 minutes till stiff and glossy. Add food coloring, if desired, and transfer to a pasty bag to pipe onto cookies.

 
At 7:12 AM, Blogger Mo H said...

Theresa,
My daughter loves those peanut butter cookies with Hershey kisses in the middle, too! I'm impressed with the decorations on your cookies.

My favorite cookie recipe is the chocolate chip recipe on the back of the Tollhouse Morsel bag.

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

Gillian, you are quick and so very helpful!!! I want to try this recipe. THANKS so much!!!

Mo, I agree, the tollhouse recipe for choc. chips is the BEST!!!

Keep the recipes coming. I will try all the recipes I can and take pictures too!!!

 
At 11:24 PM, Blogger Terry McLaughlin said...

Gillian, I love the semi-homemade idea. As much as I love to cook (and usually don't mind the prep), shortcuts are always welcome. Thanks for sharing the recipe :-)!

Great post, Theresa. Loved the pics of the cookies and the cooks :-).

Every year at this time I wish I'd been able to convince one of my grandmothers to share her maple cookie recipe. Now she's gone, and so is that recipe :-(.

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger Judy said...

That looks delicious and like so much fun, Theresa!

Oh, Terry! How sad to lose something so special.

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

Oh, Terry, that is sad. I think every family should have a book of family recipes made...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]