site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Monday, July 27, 2009

Summer Swimming

By Debra Holland

I was a competitive swimmer until I was 20, then worked as a lifeguard and swim coach into my twenties. I know I’m happiest when I’m in the water. Near it is good, too-- either on it in a boat, or looking at water from a house or restaurant.

Three years ago, I started dating Don, who has a beautiful lagoon pool in his backyard. It’s private, surrounded by tall pine trees, and bushes cloak the fence. I loved being able to stroll out the door, and step into the pool, with or without wearing a bathing suit.

Although at first, I encountered a few problems. It was impossible to take more than a few strokes without hitting a rock. So I adapted. I found the dog paddle actually is more strenuous than I thought. Really works the triceps. I also like hanging on a rock and doing scissor kicks. Or, I’ll tread water, then float on my back, head up (to miss the rocks) and using my arms in a finning motion.

This summer, we’d had workmen fixing a hidden leak. Don also changed the “beach” so instead of a step up to the water level, it flows to the edge of the sidewalk. That meant, all summer I couldn’t swim. I missed the pool SO much!

FINALLY, yesterday the water was back in the pool, cleaned, and ready to use. I skimmed the leaves and flowers off the surface, then plunged in. I wish I could put in words how peaceful it is to swim in a lagoon pool. Water trickles off the rocks of the jacuzzi into the pool, sounding like a musical meditation. The breeze plucks bougainvillea blossoms off the overhanging bushes, tossing them into the water, then sets them floating around me. I feel like I’m on a tropical vacation, a perfect get-away from stress.

Yesterday, I also discovered something new ... lying on the “beach” either on my back or stomach made for perfect lounging. I was partially submerged, so my body stayed cool, and I was very comfortable. As I rested, soaking up the sun, I really tried to focus on being in the moment and letting my head clear. Sometimes, I actually succeeded!

Oh, the joy of being in the water.

How about you? Do you like the water?

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 10:37 AM, Blogger Mo H said...

Debra,
I love the water, too. I grew up with a four-foot deep pool in the backyard. My sisters and brother would stay in it until our fingers pruned. I didn't love my job of vacuuming the pool, though, or the surprises in the filter basket--frogs, lizards, dead bugs. It was worth all the work to have a clean, leaf and pinestraw free pool to swim in.

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger Judy said...

Oh, my goodness, Debra, I'm practically drooling; it sounds wonderful.

Living in the Valley of the Sun, you'd think I'd live in the pool all summer. I enjoy wading in the ocean when I go to L.A., but that's about it. Growing up, we were one of the few houses without a pool but lots of citrus trees. So I learned to swim in the public pool. Unfortunately, it was about 2-1/2 miles away. Not bad to bike unless it's 110 outside, which happens frequently in the summer here. Staying inside, in the A/C, has always been my first choice, but I think it's understandable living here. That being said, if I had your lagoon, I'd be out in it all the time, too. :-)

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger Mary Curry said...

Oh Debra,

I'm so envying you that pool right now. Normally I'm an ocean girl but that lagoon pool sounds like a slice of heaven. The weather here today is only in the high 80's but the humidity is disgusting so this part in particular appealed to me.

"lying on the “beach” either on my back or stomach made for perfect lounging. I was partially submerged, so my body stayed cool, and I was very comfortable."

*sigh*

 
At 7:35 PM, Blogger Louisa Cornell said...

The lagoon pool sounds heavenly. Actually I can't swim. Never learned. But I do love to be out on the water or near it or even in it so long as it isn't over my head. I find it very soothing and relaxing. My outside dogs all have kiddie pools in their dog runs. I fill them up every morning and they have a ball in them. In fact, my old eighteen year old dog has to have her pool emptied every night or she would sleep in it! Talk about a wet hairy prune!

 
At 9:17 PM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

Love the pool, Debra! Nice!

I love LOOKING at water but I don't like to swim much anymore...even though I used to be a diver. I swam a lot as a kid.

Your blog does make me want to run outside and jump in the pool though. :)

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger Delle Jacobs said...

I'm really a water person, too. When I was a kid, I swam every chance I got, and could swim the full mile distance across the town reservoir. I've always felt such a surge of energy and well-being when I'm near a lake, river, or the ocean.

It shows up in my writing, too. In my latest two books, both paranormals, one hero and heroine come upon a dreamlike Roman style villa (in northern England) with a heated pool large enough to swim in. And in the other, hero and heroine live beneath the ocean.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]