site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Mellow Out with a Mojito


My introduction to this refreshing, minty-lime cocktail began with a trip to the Florida Keys. My older sister wanted to celebrate her fortieth birthday there with her siblings.
Now, I have to admit that this sister and I have been known to clash, and we did pretty much from the get-go of this trip. My brother, bless him, brought the fixings and made a large pitcher of mojitos as we settled into our condo, where youngest sister and I discovered that we’d be sleeping on a fold-out couch because the place birthday sister booked had only two bedrooms. Yes, something we should have been consulted about prior to her making the reservations. Younger sister and I would have gladly paid more not to share a mattress with a metal bar digging into our backs.
My next discovery was that birthday girl wanted us all to snorkel together the next day, which I was terrified of. Sharks, rays, barracuda, jellyfish—all flashed in my head, as well as that movie about the couple being left in the ocean with their scuba gear. Once my brother handed me a large cup filled with this fabulous drink, and I’d had about five sips, I thought I might not kill birthday sister.

Here’s my brother’s recipe. May it bring you the mellow.

Get large pint glass 3/4 full of ice.
Muddle 10 mint leaves & stems with a teaspoon of granulated sugar.
Pour (2) shots of Bacardi Limon Rum in muddling device to help rinse & pour into glass.
Add 1 shot of simple syrup.
Add (2) shots of tonic w/ quinine
Stir, enjoy...

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 11:54 AM, Blogger Lee McKenzie said...

Mo, I’ve never had any luck making a mojito, but I recently attended a workshop on making tea cocktails and learned how to make a tea mojito. It’s not as weird as it sounds, although it takes a little advance preparation.

Instead of using flavored rum, start with plain white rum and infuse it with tea. The one I sampled was rum infused with Sublime, a blend of Chinese green tea, lemongrass, citrus and lime extracts.

Infusing the rum is easy. Simply pour two cups of white rum over two tablespoons of loose tea, store it in an airtight container for 24 hours, and then strain it.

The tea shop that offered the workshop has lots of great tea recipes on its website.

Cheers!
Lee

 
At 11:02 PM, Blogger Mo H said...

Lee,
That sounds interesting. I'll have to try it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]