site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

You Gotta Have Friends

Bette Midler was right. You Gotta Have Friends!

When I think about growing up in my small Kentucky hometown I wonder how I ever would have made it without my friends Sandy and Ann. Oh, the hours we spent talking on the phone, at ball games, at school, at our afterschool hangout. I lost track of them both some time during college, but I think of them still. I even have a composite character in one of my books, in their honor.

I meet my soul sister in graduate school. She was my neighbor in campus housing and we met when she came over to borrow my broom (no vacuum cleaners for us starving students). She introduced me to her soon-to-be husband, I attended their wedding, I'm aunt to their four children. We see each other when we can, talk frequently on the phone, and I think about her almost every day. When I'm down or have a problem, she's the first person I call. What a blessing it is to have her in my life. Thanks, Missy. I love ya!

Who's your BFF (such a lame term for such an important person!). Where did you meet? How long have you been friends? What in the world would you do without her (or him?)

5 Comments:

At 11:09 AM, Blogger Mo H said...

Karen,
My BFF is my sister Eileen. I have many close friends, but the bond I have with her is extra special. I think that we're so close because we spent so many years sharing a bedroom--talking when we should have been sleeping. She lives thirty minutes from me now, which is great. And we still talk for hours!

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger Judy said...

I met Mary, in early 2002, online, at an LOTR fan site. I was standoffish, suspicious, and more than a little paranoid. (I had good reason to be.) Mary was patient and persistent and kindness itself. When I had to put my horse down that summer she offered to call me the morning after so I would have something to do besides realize that my morning habit of the previous five years was no more. We talked for over an hour. We've met face to face twice since then, for special weekends, once in L.A. and once in Orlando. Now, we chat on the phone every day on her way home from work. We talk about EVERYTHING. She's taught me about true charity (giving without expecting anything in return and accepting joyfully), strengthened my faith, and reminds me that I am a worthwhile person. I honestly cannot imagine where I would be or who I would be without her. God bless her, and all such friends that makes one better for knowing them.

 
At 1:06 PM, Blogger Diane Gaston said...

It is my privilege to also know Judy's friend Mary who sent me a fan letter about one of my early books. She is everything Judy says. I was lucky enough to meet her after RT in Orlando a few years ago. She drove me across the state to my uncle's house. We talked the whole way like two women who've known each other for years.
And she "introduced" me to Judy! These two ladies have been wonderful, supportive fans as well as friends. I'm so delighted that Judy keeps up with our blog! It's like "seeing" her often.

I'd be hard-pressed to find one BFF. I've found that the romance writing has brought me so many wonderful friends. It's even led old friends back to me, too. I'm truly blessed.

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger Karen said...

So wonderful to hear about your friends! Keep 'em coming!!!

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger Christine said...

I am blessed to have two incredible best friends. One I met in 5th grade and we've been through hill and dale ever since--time and distance are not an issue. She came to me when my daughter was born, held her, slept with her and brought her to my bed to nurse every night... and her incredible sense of humor and her amazing honesty are her greatest gifts to me.

My other BFF and I were intro'd by our parents. We're sisters in every way but by blood. She's the dutch version of me... just a joy to know and best of all her family and my family are connected by travels and memory making events.

These two are my truth sayers..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]