site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Wednesday, May 06, 2009

A Little Girl Time: Traveling with Friends


Traveling with Friends can be a lot of fun as long as you have an itinerary, have figured out in advance how you’re going to handle meals, and have established a few rules.

By itinerary, I do not mean scheduling every minute of your time away from the day-in, day-out grind. But you and your buddies should map out a few activities before you arrive at your destination. If you’re heading to the beach, and there’s an outlet mall close by, you might plan an afternoon of shopping for bargains. My oldest friends and I usually decide on what we want to do after we decide where we’re going and where we’re staying. When we went to Asheville, seeing Biltmore was a no brainer. We also hit a Flea Market. When we went to Memphis, we scheduled a spa day, ate dinner on Beale Street, and went for Sunday brunch at the Peabody Hotel. When we go to the beach, we’re less structured. We spend some time walking along the shore and swimming, but we also plan indoor activities. We play board games—our favorites are Scattagories and Pictionary—and we rent DVD’s.

Before you head to the airport or get in the car for your girls’ weekend, establish how you’ll handle meals. How many meals will you eat in your rental? How many dinners out? Will you split the grocery bill, or should everyone get their own food? Who’s going to the grocery store when you arrive and what’s on that list? My friends and I usually shop together and split the bill. I bring a few things necessary to my existence that I don’t expect them to chip in for, but I am happy to share—coffee. I like to grind my own dark roast beans. Communication is important—especially if some friends have to watch their pennies more than others.

And speaking of communication, if you want everyone to get along, you’ve got to set a few rules. If people want to do stuff off itinerary, discuss that it’s okay to say “no.” If someone is sleeping in the loft, maybe the TV blaring from downstairs needs to turn off at midnight. If people bring food or drinks they don’t want to share, then they need to tell everyone those items are off limits.

What trips have you taken with your friends? What have you learned about traveling with friends that you’d like to share?

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 12:50 PM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

Good post, Mo. I have ONE tip for people who are going to room with one or more people at conference...BE flexible. Sure, maybe if you had your own room you would be able to come in and take a nap or talk privately on the phone, but if you're sharing a room, don't plan on it...and don't let it ruin your conference. Last year I roomed with three other people, two to a bed. One of the girls we had never met before, but we were ALL flexible and everything turned out great. One of the roommates stayed up late and liked to sleep in. We tried not to wake her up...but she would just throw the covers over her head and fall back asleep. One of us liked the television on. I prefer the t.v. to be off at all times. We had to figure out shower times, etc. It can only work if you can go with the flow...:)

I agree with Mo. Communication is the key to traveling with friends!

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

Fun post, Maureen. I like fun trips with girlfriends. In fact, a couple of weeks ago, I nabbed fellow Noodler MJ and headed to Corpus Christi and Kingsville, Texas to do book research, and to Padre Island National Seashore to listen to the waves and walk on the beach. We had a great time.

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger Terry McLaughlin said...

Interesting post, Mo--I love the pictures :-)!

I've made trips with family and students, but never friends. This sounds like fun! Great advice from everyone :-).

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger Mo H said...

Theresa,
Great tip. Flexibility is good. Wow, four to a room at a conference. I did that once, but our room had two sinks, which really helped!

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger Mo H said...

Trish,
I've been to South Padre, too! Glad you got to see MJ.

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger Mo H said...

Terry,
Traveling with friends can be the best. One other tip, bring earplugs if you've got any snorers in the group!

 
At 11:32 PM, Blogger Terry McLaughlin said...

LOL on the earplugs suggestion, Mo :-). I snore so loudly I've stopped volunteering to share rooms--I'm afraid that even earplugs wouldn't help :-(.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]