site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Monday, January 26, 2009

Ten Inexpensive Ways to Be Good to Yourself


Wear a Brightly Colored Item of Clothing. Be it scarf, sweater, or blouse, your spirits will be lifted. The sight of your red sweater might even cheer those around you.

Make your Favorite Meal and Serve It on Your Best China. Whether it’s Pot Roast or Beef Wellington, your favorite meal on your Royal Dalton will make you feel special.

Contact an Old Friend. Use the phone, e-mail, or MySpace. Better yet, write a letter, you know the kind that requires a stamp and some stationary.

Declutter and Reorganize One Thing in Your House or Office that Hasn’t Seen Any Attention in a While. Make sure to pick just one, so the task isn’t daunting. You’ll be amazed at how much easier it’ll be to find your scissors or that necklace you love but never wore because it was tangled up with your earrings, bracelets, and pearls in your jewelry box.

Sit in a Comfortable Chair, Close Your Eyes, and Listen to Your Favorite Music. Closing your eyes and being still is important. Let your sense of hearing come to the forefront.

Light Some Candles or Build a Fire in Your Fireplace. Flames soothe.

Get in a Little Lap Time. If you have pets, scratch behind their ears and under their chins, run your hands over their soft fur. You’ll be rewarded with loving glances and purrs.

Read Your Favorite Book of All Time—Again. Each time you read a favorite, you’ll be reminded of why you love the characters, the setting, and the author who brought this novel to life for you.

Buy Fresh Flowers from the Grocery Store. If you’re like me, you probably walk by the floral department when doing your weekly shopping. But inexpensive bouquets and potted plants are available. Look for the items that have been marked down because they aren’t as fresh as newer shipments. It doesn’t hurt to ask the floral department manager when they get new shipments, then you’ll know when to shop for bargains. FYI, after Valentine’s Day, roses will be priced for quick sale.

Hug Someone You Love. Or hug several someones. Spread a little love.







How about you? Which one of these suggestions will you try? Can you think of another inexpensive way to be good to yourself?

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

At 9:26 AM, Blogger Lee McKenzie said...

Wonderful suggestions, Mo! Thank you for sharing them!

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger Diane Gaston said...

Just reading the blog made me feel good!

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger Mo H said...

Glad you liked the suggestions, Lee!

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger Mo H said...

Thanks, Diane! Knowing it made you feel good makes me feel good.

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger PatriciaW said...

I've got two more.

Sing. Out Loud.
Throw on some party music or dance tunes and sing. There's nothing like singing to boost one's spirits, and even better, get some dancing in too.

Take a Walk.
The only thing better than singing and dancing is walking. Outside. In fresh air. No matter how curmudgeonly you fee when you start, you will feel refreshed and probably gain mental clarity by the time you finish if you walk at least 20 minutes.

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger Dianna Love said...

Great ideas Mo. Everyone should be feeling good by the end of the week.

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger Laurel Hawkes said...

These are great! I've used all of them at one time or another. Today, I took a walk, and I think I'm going to do that sit in a chair and listen to music for a few minutes. And a piece of chocolate! Life is always better with chocolate. :-)
~Judy

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

These are all wonderful suggestions. I light candles, the scented kind, nearly every day. Love nice smells floating around.I also listen to music and read by the fire.

Another good one is to get a spray bottle of lavender from a bath and body shop and spray your pillows every night. Love it.

Those are great additions, Patricia!

 
At 5:06 PM, Blogger Terry McLaughlin said...

Great list, Mo :-)! I thought of you when I purchased a bouquet of flowers at the grocery store today.

Singing, walking, spraying my pillow case with lavender--I love those ideas, too!

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

That's so true about flowers. They instantly cheer me up! Trader Joe's has good prices.

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger Mo H said...

Patricia,
Great suggestions! I love to sing out loud, too. The great thing is, when no one else is around, I can believe I'm on key!

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger Mo H said...

Judy,
I'm totally with you on the chocolate!

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger Mo H said...

Theresa,
I've done the lavender water spritz, too, and it really does relax me. I need to buy some more.

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger Mo H said...

Yay, Terry! Glad you treated yourself to some flowers.

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger Mo H said...

Jane,
I hear such wonderful things about Trader Joe's. I'm going to have to venture out of routine and see one for myself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]