site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Wednesday, January 07, 2009

SPOILING YOURSELF - My top 5 indulgences

By Norah Wilson

As Diana Love said in her monday post, "If the only person you ever thought about was you, then that would be selfish. On the other hand, if you rarely think of you or dedicate time/money to YOUR happiness then that’s negligent."

Well said, Diana! I couldn't agree more.

I don't tend to take shopping trips or exotic vacations or spa getaways. My indulgences are a little more mundane, but no less nurturing to my soul. And they're available a lot more frequently!

In reverse order, here they are:

5. Watching my beloved Toronto Blue Jays play baseball on TV. Yes, they're on almost every day in the summer, and I used to watch almost every game, which takes on average a 3 hour chunk out of the day. That is not an indulgence, my friends. That's an addiction. I finally found some discipline, and now watch only a few times a week. And it's wonderful!

4. Walking in the woods with my dog. There are more convenient places I could walk, but as nice as the walking paths are in my city, there's nothing like the sights and scents of a woods walk, and a happy dog off its leash. Truly food for the soul.

3. Parking myself at the specialty tea shop for a few hours with my Alphasmart and a lovely Formosa oolong. Pure happiness.

2. Curling up with a great book for an uninterrupted day of reading. Mmmmm, bliss. If great tea is involved, even better.

1. Sneaking off to the movie theatre alone. This is my absolute favorite indulgence! I get to see exactly what I want to see without worrying about anyone else's tastes or preferences. I don't have a running critique from my sister in my ear as I try to watch. I don't have to control my drooling when Daniel Craig heats up the screen. I can completely lose myself in the story and be transported. Pure heaven!

So, what are YOUR top indulgences? What's your number one, no fail, self-nurturing activity? Maybe you'll inspire me to pick up some new ones!

12 Comments:

At 8:50 AM, Blogger Louisa Cornell said...

Great indulgences, Norah! I think I'll make your number one, my number five. I used to sneak off to the movies alone all the time. I don't know why I stopped.

So, here are my five indulgences.

5. Sneak off to the movies alone. I'm going to start doing that again.

4. Let all of my rescue dogs out to play and run in my pasture. I could watch them for hours. They're so funny and so exuberant about life.

3. Shop the internet for research books, even if I don't buy them. I can spend HOURS doing this, even if I don't buy anything.

2. Wander the local indoor flea market / antique mall. Again, even if I don't buy, I love looking for those hidden treasures.

1. Spend an entire Sunday afternoon in bed with a stack of DVDs, romance novels and junk food and just veg out. I've watched all the Harry Potter films in a row, or all the Lord of the Rings movies or all the X-Men movies or all the Jane Austen movies. Bliss!

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger Laurel Hawkes said...

5. Nascar, Feb-Nov. My favorite driver is Carl Edwards. And I rarely miss a race. When it's only on cable I watch the leader board online. My younger brother introduced me to the sport, two years ago, and now I'm hooked.

4. Cooking. I've some lovely cookware and then pretty dishes to serve it on. I know I'm feeling more balanced in my life when I take time to cook. Which also includes trying new things. This week, I tried milk chocolate bars: Lindt, Dove, Hershey's Symphony, Toblerone, Starbucks, and Cadbury. What a surprise. Next time, truffles. :-)

3. Hot cocoa with marshmallows, a splash of Irish Cream creamer, and a biscotti for dipping. Even during the summer.

2. Anything Lord of the Rings. I participate on a LOTR message board almost daily. At least two or more times a year, I attend a LOTR event, somewhere.

1. Rereading favorite authors. There is nothing like curling up with a book I already know I love!

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

Wow, I have never went to a movie alone...I don't know if I would like that.

1. Spend the day in any bookstore
2. READ
3. Take my laptop to bed for the day and write!

These are great. Thanks for sharing, Norah.

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger Mo H said...

Okay, Louisa,
I'm going to have to try your movie indulgence! Norah, I love walking in the woods, too!

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger Norah Wilson said...

Sorry to be so long getting back, guys. My Internet crapped out and I just got it restored -- new router.

Louisa, your #1 sounds pretty darned nice! As does watching your rescue dogs romp in the pasture. Definitely good for the soul.

Ladyhawk, those are some EXCELLENT obsessions...I mean, indulgences. :-) I can identify. Noodler MJ Frederick blogged this week on another blog about her obsessions. Wish I still had the URL!

Theresa! You like to write in bed, too? Give me a lap desk so my laptop doesn't overheat my legs, good and drink within reach, and I'm happy. It makes a nice change from sitting in front of a desk.

Mo, there's just something about the woods, huh? Something for all the senses. Once in a while we see deer. I remember one year in the winter stumbling upon a herd of deer who were bedded down in the afternoon. I wish I'd seen them in time to backtrack. I hated disturbing them. The dog I had then was so blind, deaf and nose blind, I don't think he even noticed!

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger Norah Wilson said...

Norah said: "...good and drink within reach"

Obviously, that should have been FOOD and drink. Doh. Better get some food and drink into me right now.

 
At 6:47 PM, Blogger Delle Jacobs said...

Oh sweet indulgence! Great list, Norah! I have to confess, I have thought many times about going to a movie alone but have never done it. On the few occasions when I nearly did, usually when I thought the movie was too girlie for the guys, one or more decided to go with me anyway. When hubby didn't want to see Australia, my son was happy to jump in. Now my intention is to see Mama Mia, but that will probably be on video since it's not playing anywhere anymore.

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

I loved Mama Mia, Delle! I want to buy the DVD. I saw it on stage and twice in the theatre!

I also saw Australia which I liked but didn't love. It was sort of strange how it started out like a funny romp and ended up quite serious! It felt like two different movies to me. But Hugh is fun to look at!

 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger Diane Gaston said...

I indulge myself with Research books. There is rarely one I pass up.

As a family, we indulge ourselves with up-to-date computer equipment and other gizmos. I hardly ever have problems with my pink laptop as a result.

And, of course, there is my new Christmas present-- my IPhone!

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger Terry McLaughlin said...

Hi, everyone :-)! I sneak off to the movies by myself every once in a while, when my husband needs a break from all the chick flicks I drag him to ;-).

I've never tried writing on my laptop in bed. I think I'm going to give that a shot--it sounds great :-)!

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

Norah, I'm a day late posting a comment, but I wanted to say that your No. 1 indulgence is a fave of mine too. I get an order of nachos, a Coke and sit back to enjoy.

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger Dianna Love said...

Norah -

I love your indulgences. The one thing I consider a true indulgence for myself is to take a few hours in an afternoon to read. Doesn't matter which day since I'm on the go everyday.

Dianna

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]