site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Monday, December 08, 2008

Candy Cane Bark

In today’s busy world, finding a simple, quick recipe is a treat. When that recipe involves chocolate, it’s even better!

Below are several variations of one of my favorite holiday recipes. They are all easy to make and are great for impromptu get-togethers, for coffee/hot chocolate breaks with friends, or as after-dinner mints for your guests.

If you’re like me, you’ll find yourself enjoying them for a sweet snack when I’m racing out the door or wrapping gifts.

The first recipe can be found at http://www.recipezaar.com/Candy-Cane-Bark-14388

The rest are located at http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,cane_bark,FF.html

I hope you enjoy, and if you have another variation you’d like to share, please do!
Happy Holidays!

Candy Cane Bark
Serves: 6
1 (170 g) package white chocolate baking squares
2 red-and-white candy canes

Directions

Break candy canes into 2 or 3 pieces and place in a plastic bag and close top; smash with kitchen mallet to take out your frustrations and pulverize the candy.

In a small bowl, melt chocolate in microwave oven with Medium-Low power, checking every 30 seconds or so; white chocolate burns easily even in the microwave so better safe than sorry.

Cover a cookie sheet with wax paper.

Stir candy cane crumbs into melted white chocolate and stir well to combine.
Pour chocolate mixture onto wax paper, spreading thin with a spatula.

Stash cookie sheet in fridge about an hour or until it hardens.

Hold wax paper by one corner and start peeling it back, breaking off pieces of the bark; store pieces in airtight container in fridge.

Keeps well.

HOLIDAY MARBLE BARK

One 1 lb. bag (16 oz.) chocolate chips
One 1 lb. bag (16 oz.) white chocolate chips
2 candy canes or about 20 starlite candies
Wax paper

Unwrap and crush the candy canes or starlite minds into very small pieces and set aside; place the bag of chocolate chips in one microwavable bowl, and the white chips in a separate bowl. Microwave each for about 2 ½ - 3 minutes, stopping and stirring every 30 seconds, until melted.

Immediately after melting chocolate, remove from microwave and add half of the crushed candies into each bowl of melted chocolate.

Spoon melted mixture onto wax paper, dropping spoonfuls of white and chocolate next to each other and then swirling to create a marbled effect. When all done dropping and swirling, place in fridge or freezer to harden.

In fridge give it a couple hours or one hour in the freezer, but watch it so it doesn't harden completely.

Break into pieces.

Alternate ideas: you could use toffee candies instead of peppermint, or chocolate-mint flavored chips - the possiblities of combinations are many!


Mint Drops

2 (4 oz.) candy cane sticks
1 pkg. white almond bark (white chocolate)

Place candy cane sticks in a zip-lock baggy. Crush both candy cane sticks completely, getting them into as small of chunks as possible.

Melt almond bark in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring occasionally until smooth (do not overheat).

Combine candy and chocolate and drop onto wax paper by spoonfuls.

Makes wonderful mints for the holidays. Very easy to make!

HOLIDAY BRITTLE

1 bag hard candy or peppermint canes, crushed
1 lb. white chocolate or almond bark

Melt almond bark or chocolate and stir in crushed candy until covered. Let set, break into pieces and chill.

10 Comments:

At 10:57 AM, Blogger Mo H said...

Pris,
These recipes all look easy and quick, which is what I need during the holiday rush--so I can still carve out some writing time. I'm going to try the candy cane bark for my daughter's holiday party at school next Friday. Thanks!

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

These recipes are great! I'm going to try them all! Yummy! Thanks, Pris!

Happy Holidays everyone!

 
At 5:05 PM, Blogger MJFredrick said...

The one I make doesn't have candy canes, but red and green M&Ms and broken up pretzels. Sweet and salty...mmmm.

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger Prisakiss said...

Oooh, Mary. I love white chocolate covered pretzels. I don't know why it hadn't occured to me to try pretzels in the recipe.

Thanks for the suggestion!!!

Mo, as for finding time to write, I hear, ya! I had a big push to finish my first draft in time for the GH--- yay, I did it!!!!--- and now I really need to capitalize on the momentum and keep plugging away on the revisions.

It's hard during the holidays, but hopefully we'll both succeed.

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger Diane Gaston said...

Oh, yum, Pris.

I made a version of the candy cane bark a couple of Christmases ago. I forgot that it called for white chocolate so I used semi-sweet chocolate chips. It wasn't pretty but it tasted good.

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger Louisa Cornell said...

Oooh, Priss! These sound deliciously decadent! More recipes to post to my Mom and SILs. Can you tell I am the non baking member of the family. I run a bakery, but I do NOT like to cook at home! All of my free time at home is spent writing and my family understands. But, these recipes will definitely be appreciated by the baking members of my family and by the eating members of my family as well - especially me!!

 
At 12:20 AM, Blogger Delle Jacobs said...

I'm totally drooling, Pris! Reminds me of the glass candy my mom used to make for Christmas. It was like stained glass, colored in brilliant jewel tones and flavored with things like peppermint oil, wintergreen oil, anise, cinnamon-- it must have been nearly pure sugar, brought to a hard candy stage and poured on a flat buttered cookie sheet while still molten. Then when it cooled she'd break it into fragments like shattered glass.

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger Dianna Love said...

Pris -

I've never tried making candy, but your recipes look easy enough for even me to make them.

thanks for sharing this!

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

What fun holiday recipes. I bet they look and taste festive.

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger robynl said...

I, too, make the one with crushed candy canes and white chocolate melted. Thanks for the other ideas.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]