site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Dreams by MaryF

I'm rewriting the end of my 2007 GH finalist, a book that came to me in a dream 4 years ago. The whole story didn't come to me, though, just the beginning, a team of archaeologists in South America taken hostage by guerrillas, but it was enough to spark the idea, to get my juices flowing. Research and a plotting retreat did the rest.

This isn't the first story I've written inspired by a dream. My very first book was inspired by a dream of two divorced cops taken hostage and their children working to free them. Of course, I didn't write that "Spy Kids" type story, but I did write a book about two divorced cops who were forced to work together again and its effect on their kids.

My ghost hunter story, which I'll be revising next, was inspired by a dream about Supernatural, where Dean was leading a ghost tour to make money to support his real job, only really scary things started happening.

I wrote a book for Bombshell a few years back, inspired by a dream I had of an invasion, where I had to save the world from these creatures enslaving mankind.

My first Nano book was inspired by a dream about Sydney Bristow, retired and deep into mommyhood, being brought back into the spy game when her ex-husband goes missing.

This year's Nano book will also be inspired by a dream, though not mine. My friend Kris Fletcher had a dream about me and Clooney, and it's just too good not to write (and yes, I have her permission.)

I write down those interesting dreams in my journal. Sometimes what seems like it will spark a good story sounds really stupid when you write it down, but sometimes it will lead to other ideas. Some just aren't developed enough and will need work (my dream, for instance, that I was on a bus full of women and Jeffrey Dean Morgan was on leave from the army and he chose ME - not nearly the conflict I'd need). Some are better left unmentioned and undeveloped (me running across a battlefield with Jeffrey Dean Morgan as characters from The Watchmen - yes, I have a thing for Jeffrey Dean Morgan, whatever gave you that idea??)

Photobucket

Maybe I'm odd, maybe my imagination is too wild, maybe other people don't have freaky dreams like me. Personally, I feel like some of them are gifts, though I've yet to have one give me an ending. That's probably too much to ask....

Do you have dreams that inspire you? Have you ever written a book from one?

Oh, and since I was feeling a bit left out of the whole shoe picture thing, here are my back-to-school shoe deals:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

9 Comments:

At 11:46 PM, Blogger Diane Gaston said...

I reposted this for Mary because it wasn't allowing for any comments and I kept getting an error message.

Those shoes are too cute not to comment on!

All I can say is, I wish I had dreams like that. I have very very occasionally had a dream that would give me a story idea - I do tend to dream in stories, but I just don't remember my dreams that often!

 
At 11:51 PM, Blogger MJFredrick said...

Hm....I know Blogger was down earlier this evening. Thanks for complimenting my shoes - AND they were a bargain - $25 for both pair, and they're Easy Spirits!

Do you remember your dreams right when you wake up? Would it be good to keep a notebook by your bed?

 
At 11:57 PM, Blogger Gillian Layne said...

Oh, I love easy Spirits! :)

My wip is a dream. I woke up with the character and first scene incredibly vivid, went to the computer and wrote my cp's that I was abandoning another wip to write this because it was too strong to ignore, and so far it's been a joy.

I think a notebook by the bed is a great idea. I need notebooks everywhere.

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger Diane Gaston said...

A notebook would help, but I rarely wake up from a dream. Or I forget them instantly!

I'm all envy at your shoes! Easy Spirits and $25??????

 
At 8:07 AM, Blogger Diane Gaston said...

Gillian, I meant to say that it is good to write the story that excites you. But FINISH it! Don't get tempted away by another great idea. (This never happens to me...)

 
At 8:10 AM, Blogger MJFredrick said...

I may regret the denim ones, but they're so CUTE. Yeah, we hit the outlet mall this week ;)

I have a notebook in my purse, but that's it. Shame on me, I know.

Gillian, I've been known to abandon a story for a dream story. Like I said, it feels like a gift! But yes, like Diane said, finish the other, at least sketchily, and go back to it.

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger Delle Jacobs said...

Cute shoes, Mary! I love Easy Spirits too. And Clark's. Nothing else fits so that's my major reason, but I love the easy style too.

I get lots of ideas from dreams. I noticed years ago when my life gets to be too hum-drum, I have adventure dreams. I had a daring escape dresm last night, rescuing two babies with dirty diapers in the process. I think I'd leave out the smelly stuff in a story, though, even though the unexpected hero didn't seem to mind in the dream. He must have been a really good guy.

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger Norah Wilson said...

Mary, of course Jeffery Dean picked you! I can see from that picture you posted that he wants you. It's perfectly clear. :-)

 
At 6:44 PM, Blogger MJFredrick said...

Delle, I love Clarks too. I only have one pair but our librarian has quite the collection.

That's a great fun dream without the stinky bits. Makes me wonder if I dream smells.....

LOL, Norah! If he only knew I'm his Number One Fan....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]