site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Monday, June 02, 2008

June is Promotion Month

Since my books came out in March and April, I've been slogging through a strange new world called promotion.

This is a world I prefer not to visit. If you're like me, you're raised not to toot your own horn, but in publishing, especially if you're e-published like me, there's no one else to toot for you. If you don't toot, no one will know you're there.

I've tried online ads, joined online communities, made postcards through Vista Print (mostly because I like seeing my covers everywhere.) My school district public relations guy found out and I've been written up in the local paper AND appeared on the local news (I could so do a "How NOT to Prepare for a TV Interview" post there.) I've lost days of writing time, struggled for balance, and still don't know what was effective and what wasn't.

We have several knowledgeable Noodlers this month, as well as a number of guest bloggers who will lead us into this strange new world and hopefully help us feel comfortable there!

And to top it off, one lucky commenter will win a $25 gift certificate from Amazon!

Coming up this week:

Monday: well, this post ;)
Tuesday: Colleen Gleason will blog on having a successful blog.
Wednesday: Esri Rose will blog about advertising your local book.
Thursday: Trish Milburn will blog about creating public relations in the time between the sale of the book and the release.
Friday will be question and answer day.

I hope we all learn a lot!

8 Comments:

At 3:54 AM, Blogger Gillian Layne said...

Looking forward to it!

I'm especially curious about how people maintain an on-line presence and not have it eat up all their time. Between blogs, web pages, MySpace, My Face, and whatever else it out there, I don't know how they do it. It's so easy to lose hours just visiting "friends", let alone new authors.

Looks like a great month! :)

 
At 4:29 AM, Blogger Margay Leah Justice said...

Take heart, Mary, it will get better. There are so many authors out there who seem to strike a balance between promotion and actual writing, so hopefully, we will get the chance to learn from them just how they do it! And with the lineup you have here, it looks like we're well on our way to doing just that. And just think, everything you learn from this book will only help you when it's time to promote the next one! Best of luck.

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

Congrats Margay!!!

Looks like a great month ahead of us, Mary! Thanks for putting it all together. Can't wait to see what everyone has to say.

 
At 2:39 PM, Blogger Diane Gaston said...

Promotion was one of the surprises of selling a book! and it was a skill I never had reason before to develop. I'm as eager as anyone to learn things this month!

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

I'm looking forward to all the posts since I'm in the midst of working on promo in the final months leading up to my first book's release.

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger doglady said...

I am really looking forward to this month's topic. I am always fascinated by what forms promotion takes. I will be taking very careful notes as if I work very hard I might actually have to promote a book!! :)

 
At 10:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds so great . wll be good to see what the autohrs have to say
kh

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger Santa said...

Before I decided to try my hand at writing a book, I never knew just how much was involved in the process beyond getting the words down. How do you take the hook that got your book noticed in the first place by agents and editors and make that hook work for potential booksellers and readers?

More importantly - how much promotional material is too much? Bookmarks, postcards, post-its, candies, websites, blogs, ARCs (and just who gets them)...it boggles the mind (not to mention the wallet).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]