site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Read This Book!

I'm reading first books this week, and the first one I picked up was Lee McKenzie's A MAN FOR MAGGIE. I started it yesterday and finished it today. I looked up at one point and was on page 92! By the time I was done, I felt like I'd vacationed in Collingwood Station with Nick (sigh!) and Maggie.

Maggie Meadowcroft is new to town. She inherited her aunt's home and is planning to turn it into a spa, with all natural products that she makes herself. She is bright and cheerful, unselfconscious and giving, and you can just see why Nick Durrance, the man she hires to help her convert the house to a spa, falls for her.

Nick is the son of a prominent family, who "lowered his standards" and fell off the grid. Even though he's stayed in the town, he no longer associates with his former friends, and his family only under duress. (Hey, duress, Durrance...coincidence?) He has a pretty successful business but works with his hands. He was troubled in high school, the bad boy the girls wanted to reform.

What I loved about this book is how Nick fell for Maggie. You can see him fighting it, kind of, but there is nothing like watching a man fall in love against his will. He was at once vulnerable and heroic and I just love him.

This book is the PERFECT example of show don't tell, motivation and emotion, emotion, emotion. Honestly, I wish I could send a copy to most of the contest entrants I judged this week!

Buy this book!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Labels:

12 Comments:

At 5:02 AM, Blogger Marianne Arkins said...

Yes, Ma'am... heading out right now to purchase it! Thanks!

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Jennifer Shirk said...

Bought this book a while ago and just finished it.

I enjoyed it, too!

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

Oh, goody, it's on my TBR pile. I think I'll put it in the bag to take on my road trip too. Have I ever mentioned that I need to clone myself so one of me can just read? :)

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger Lee McKenzie said...

Oh my gosh, Mary! What a wonderful review. That book was so much fun to write. I'm thrilled you enjoyed it!

Hugs,
Lee

 
At 11:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've read The Man for Maggie a couple of times and it gets better with each reading.

I can't wait for With This Ring to come out in December and see what Lee's cooked up for Nick's sister Leslie!

Sheryll

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger MJFredrick said...

LOL, you won't be sorry, Marianne and Trish! I love the idea of cloning myself just so one of me can read ;)

Jennifer and Sheryll, didn't you just love Nick? I bet I know what's in store for Leslie ;)

Lee, I can tell you had fun writing this book. They were GREAT characters - I bet they were fun to spend time with, and hard to let go!

 
At 6:55 PM, Blogger Diane Gaston said...

I have my copy and I can't wait to read it!

 
At 8:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was a delightful read. Maggie is lovable and Nick needed someone just like her. I couldn't help wanting to try some of Maggie's beauty tricks. LOL! And thanks for the heads about about Leslie! I'm so glad!

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger Karen said...

I'm reading this book right now, and loving it!!! Maggie is a charming character and Nick is as hunky a hero as a gal could want.

 
At 3:51 AM, Blogger Trish Morey said...

I hope this one is going to come out Downunder or I'll be exercising my Amazon muscle again (it's actually pretty well toned - pity about the other ones:-))

 
At 7:31 PM, Blogger Lee McKenzie said...

Trish Mo, you always find a way to make me smile. It sounds as though our muscles could be twins! And if Maggie shows up downunder, no one will be more thrilled than I!

Marianne, Jennifer, Trish Mi, Sheryll, Diane, Judy T and Karen . . . your support and encouragement means more to me than words can express.

And Mary, thanks again for such a great review. So special when it comes from such a wonderful writer. My voice will be one of the many you hear cheering at the GH awards ceremony!

xox
Lee

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger MJFredrick said...

Lee, I thought about this book long after I finished it - the true test for me! I really felt like I'd BEEN there, you know? Thanks for the sweet words ;)

LOL on your Amazon muscle, Trish Mo!

Judy, I'm with you on wanting to try those beauty tricks!

Karen, don't you LOVE Nick? I hope he's around a lot in Leslie's story ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]