site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Women and Friendship

by Lee McKenzie

One of the things I love about being a writer is the amazing way it has expanded my circle of friends. And I’m not talking about mere acquaintances—I mean real and true friends.

Next week four friends and I begin chemotherapy treatment. In truth only one of us has cancer, but we’re on this journey together, doing what we can to offer moral support. In between, we critique each other’s work and brainstorm story ideas.

Of course, this isn’t my only circle of friends. Over the years I have kept in touch with my closest high school girlfriends. We shared many of those “firsts” that are so important in a woman’s life—first boyfriend, first broken heart, going off to college, first apartment, first job . . .

Today we have very different careers and lifestyles, but the bond we forged when we were teenagers has kept our friendship strong. The last time we met for dinner, two of our grown-up daughters joined us. Our circle has expanded, and while our daughters may never become best friends, they instantly shared our bond of friendship.

Someone recently sent me an inspirational message that says, “A girlfriend is never farther away than needing her can reach.” That is so true, and whether they’re old friends or new, they’re among the people I value most in my life. They're always there to remind me what the Wet Noodle Posse’s motto says so eloquently . . . be good to yourself, or else!

Tell me about your circles of friends. I'd love to hear about them.

Lee

2 Comments:

At 2:34 PM, Blogger Diane Gaston said...

Lee, I agree with you. The real gift Romance writing has given me is the friendships. My life is so much richer with the friends I've made.

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger bridget said...

Lee, this is a beautiful post. I was startled to hear at first that so *many* friends all had cancer at the same time...then I realized it meant you were all just taking the journey together with the one who needed you. Hugs to her and to all of you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]