site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Monday, April 30, 2007

A Two Koala Day by Trish Morey

Anyone else out there love omens? Not the scary movie kind, but the meaningless things you can read into events of no real consequence. Or is that just me?

I love a good omen. Just last week I handed in a book with a hero called Sheikh Tajik. (Yes, I know it sounds like cheek to cheek, but I kind of like that) Anyway, my sheikh gets called Taj for most of the story. And of course, once I hand in a manuscript, I pretend to be happy while all the while I’m obsessing about all the things the editor is going to find to hate about it.

Anyway, in the midst of all this obsessing, I look for anything that might make me feel more positive. So the other day I’m in a liquor store stocking up on wine for a Saturday night out with friends and what do I see across the checkout that makes my insides sizzle? A beer called Taj. I kid you not. In big, bold letters and all the way from India. “It’s a sign!” I say, without a clue what kind of sign, but immediately adding a bottle to my purchases for luck.

The next day there’s a feature in the weekend papers – posh Indian hotels owned by none other than the Taj Group.

Now, that has to be an omen, right?

Okay, it’s meaningless and daft but it works for me. Like today being a two koala day, which means it’s going to be a great day. How do I know? Because every day I walk the pooch and every day I search for koalas high in the gum trees. Sometimes I see maybe one. Then I know it’s a sign that it’s going to be a good day. Two koalas means the day will be even brighter and more productive/fun/exciting (insert your word of choice). A three koala day, that’s the pinnacle of the koala richter scale, and you know your day will be the best ever. And if you don’t see any, well, you know they’re there somewhere, you just didn’t see them.

Daft? Very possibly. Meaningless? I don’t know. You see, spotting those gorgeous furry critters up on high, maybe sometimes with a baby hugging on tight, makes me smile. Sometimes they look down at you, all cute furry face and big fluffy ears. How could you not smile? And if I’ve seen three koalas I carry those smiles through the day. Self-fulfilling prophecy? No doubt. It works for me.

Anyone else out there have their own brand of signs and omens?

Koala images courtesy of Lone Pine
Taj Mahal Beer image is from Stawski Imports

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At 7:09 AM, Blogger Diane Gaston said...

I still believe in lucky pennies and feel like luck is with me when I find one on the street.

This good omen thing....I'll have to employ it. I wonder how many Koalas I can find in Virginia?

 
At 8:19 AM, Blogger Mo H said...

Maybe we should look for lucky squirrels, Diane! They're furry and they're in Virginia.

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

LOL. I was just thinking squirrels. I love to watch the ones playing in our yard, and I especially smile when I happen to see a bunny hopping along.

Trish, I'm so jealous that you get to see koalas. They're so adorable.

I can't think of any particulars at the moment, but I know I've done the hold good omen thing before.

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

I'm jealous too! what fun to see Koalas on a weekly or daily basis! I need to move there. I believe in signs too. Like picking up pennies or learning a new words and then seeing it everywhere! Or getting a front parking spot whereever I go. All good karma.

I was on a hike on Monday and I was feeling a real connection to nature and suddenly a butterfly landed on my finger and I swear it was talking to me for five minutes. I LOVE butterflies. And don't ask me what the heck it was saying, but all good things I'm sure. Later down the path there was a giant redwood that vibrated beneath my hands and after that a ladybug landed on my arm. The only thing that could have made my day better would have been if I had seen a koala bear! LOL

 
At 8:55 PM, Blogger Merrillee said...

Trish,
I'm a couple days late, but I just wanted to say that I have the little koala you gave us when you came to RWA the last time it was in Dallas. He is hanging onto the pole of the the lamp that sits by my desk. So I see a koala every day.

 
At 2:38 AM, Blogger Trish Morey said...

LOL Merrillee, I'd forgotten about those tiny koalas! Fancy you still having it. You can have a one koala day every day! Diane, what have you done with yours? :-))

Theresa, what a fabulous day you had. That's exactly the feeling. Your day has to be good after an experience like that.

I love squirrels. We used to have them in the UK. So cute.

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger Esri Rose said...

I'm not a sign person, but looking at those pictures made me realize that my cat, Musette, really looks like a koala when she's sleepy. Same color, same poofy face. Ears are in a different place, of course. Could be a new nickname in the offing: "koala kitty."

 
At 12:54 AM, Blogger Trish Morey said...

LOL Esri, so we now have Kiki's Koala Kitty:-))
You think she's a downunder cat?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]