site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Monday, April 09, 2007

Bring on the Spring (Fashions)!

I remember as a kid growing up in rural Kentucky that the fashion lines between winter and spring and between summer and winter were always drawn with a large black crayon. One never, and I mean never, wore white before Easter or after Labor Day. My grandmother taught that a “lady” always spent at least a few minutes on each of those holidays moving items from her cold weather purse (usually black) to the summer one (usually white, sometimes even straw).

Now I live in Florida where white is worn year-round—with sandals. If it’s cold, (anything below 80) we throw a jacket on over our shorts. Fashion lines are blurry and my grandmother is spinning in her grave.

So why am I suddenly worrying about winter/summer fashion faux pas? I’m so glad you asked. I was at my local mall on Friday night to pick up a birthday present for my nephew-by-marriage and was looking for a summer purse (grandmother’s lessons die hard) in Dillards, when what should catch my eye but the cutest little burgundy velvet evening bag. It was on sale and I had to have it.

I have the same problem with pink shoes, but I won’t bore you with that today.

I bought the bag, thinking that if I could find some shoes in the same color I could wear them with my “little black dress” to one of the functions at the National conference in Dallas. Then I started to wonder whether or not it would be "proper" to carry a velvet bag in the height of summer.

Did I worry? Did I fret? Did I pray to the fashion goddess?

No. This Florida thing must be rubbing off on me, because I don’t care anymore if it’s proper or not. I’m carrying it and I’ll bet everyone who sees it thinks it’s the cutest bag they ever saw, even if it is velvet.

That's kind of freeing, isn't it? Think about it this week when you're changing your purse. Or not.

Sorry, Grandma.

7 Comments:

At 7:44 PM, Blogger Kristen Painter said...

I've noticed this lack of respect for the "fashion rules" as well since I've moved to FL.

 
At 8:00 PM, Blogger MJFredrick said...

I've resisted the white shoes, though will probably wear some tomorrow, but I changed to my summer purse in March. I don't think many know the "rules" anymore!

 
At 9:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you're Fabulous who needs fashion rules?

 
At 1:51 AM, Blogger Terry McLaughlin said...

Karen--this cracks me up! And it's so timely. I was staring at the comfy corduroy shirts in my closet this morning, knowing they've hung around about a month too long already, but I don't want to give them up just yet...sigh.

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

LOL. Loved this post, Karen, being a Kentucky gal by birth too. I think the firm dates for wearing white aren't there as much anymore, but I do admit to thinking "I can't wear these white pants" during the winter. Maybe I need to move to Florida too! :)

 
At 5:57 PM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

I'm with Terry...this is hilarious. But all rules, whether writing or fashion or whatever, crack me up! I don't follow rules. I love your purse already!

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger Esri Rose said...

Break all the rules!!! Colorado weather can be 70 one day and snow the next, so we laugh at weather-related fashion rules. Laugh, and throw snowballs studded with dandelion flowers.

Can't wait to see your purse.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]