site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Are We Crazy?

Today is my daughter's second birthday. My son is ten weeks old. And my husband and I are contemplating a family trip to Europe next month.

So obviously, the answer is yes, we are crazy. My husband is tempted to go on a business-related trip to Amsterdam, and I'm thinking, heck, I might as well pop over to London and meet my editor at Harlequin Mills & Boon. And haven't I always fantasized about us being the type of parents who manage to lead interesting lives of adventure, while at the same time inculcating a sense of culture in our children? (For instance, our baby is sure to appreciate Buckingham Palace - and I'm sure our two-year-old can't wait to view the masterpieces at the National Gallery!)

My question is this: have any of you ever tried to do something so brave/stupid? How did it turn out? Are we absolutely certifiable to even try?

Jennie

5 Comments:

At 9:59 AM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

Jennie, you can do it! If you go without expectations I think the trip will be a wonderful memory you'll never forget. Go for it!!! And have fun. Can't wait to see pictures...:)

Theresa

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger Jennie Lucas said...

Thanks, Theresa! Have you ever done any crazy travels with your kids?

In the cold light of day, I'm scared to do it. I can see all the difficulties of such a trip (carrying two pak'n'plays on the plane? two car seats for the rental car? Two screaming kids in the back while we're hurtling down the highway in Belgium, trying to read road signs in Flemish?), and wonder if it would be worth it.

Maybe I'll send my husband to Amsterdam on his own (can't believe I'm saying that!), see my editor in Dallas this summer, and plan a nice comfy family trip to Hawaii instead.

Hmmmm.

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

I went to New Jersey for a wedding with an 8 month old and a two year old and everything that could have possibly gone wrong, went wrong...like flight delays and running out of diapers, etc., etc. I turned into a crazed woman. BUT if I could do it again and have the attitude I have NOW, then I know the trip could have been a wonderful memory instead of the chaotic nightmare that it was. It sounds like you KNOW what to expect, and so I think you can handle it. I know it's cliche, but they truly grow up fast and I think if you can go on this trip with the right attitude then you'll have an amazing time and even enjoy the kids and all the baby stuff they do. They're kids afterall. Don't stress when the kids cry or if you run out of diapers. So what?! I went on one longer trip without the kids and I missed them SO much that I ended up ruining that trip and coming home early! LOL

Don't miss out on Amersterdam if you don't have to...go for it! :) Easy for me to say, right?!

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger bridget said...

Jennie, this is actually the last perfect time for you to go! I did this, and it's so nice when they're portable and unable to object to spending time in a museum. Just imagine trying to satisfy an eight-year old and a twelve-year old with a binkie or a Magnadoodle... 2 foldable umbrella strollers and 2 small rolls of tempur-pedic pads for them to sleep on are the key to your needs! Remember, hotels have cribs!

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger Mo H said...

You're not crazy! I took my daughter, when she was 8 months old, to the Jazz Fest in New Orleans. Her favorite part was the gospel tent. That same trip I took her to the Monet exhibit at the New Orleans Museum of Art. She was happy as a clam in her Snugli.

So go and enjoy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]