site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

What's in a Title? by Trish Morey

I received my latest translation today, a Spanish version of one of my 2006 releases, and I have to say, I love it to death, especially the title, which I think fits the story so much better (and nicer!) than the title it was given on the English language versions.

Now it might surprise some of you to know that most authors don't get to name their own books. Well, they might name them, but what appears on the cover on publication may bear no similarity to the name assigned by said author to the work-in-progress. My own name for this story as I was writing it was The Pearl Master's Mistress. Nice and hooky, I imagined, a bit exotic while including one of the magic Presents title buzz words - mistress.

So much for imagination.

Here's the US version, published last November...


So my The Pearl Master's Mistress had morphed into A Virgin for the Taking. Now don't get me wrong. I love being published by Presents and each and every acceptance is an utter thrill, but I don't know, A Virgin for the Taking just didn't seem to encapsulate the story for me. I thought it made the heroine sound just a tad desperate. And there's that thing about giving away one of the major plot points in the title - I mean, what reader was going to believe she was anyone's mistress if the title proclaimed she was a virgin all along?

But publishing is a strange beast and titles, well, they can be a strange game too. You have to have some confidence in marketing - after all, they've been selling these books longer than I've been around (and that's saying something:-))

However, there are times they get the titles bang on, and today's translation made me want to sing with joy (which would have had anyone in hearshot screaming with pain, let me tell you). Here it is, the Spanish version...


Amor y perlas - Love and Pearls. Wow. To me that says it all. To me, it fits. Because that's what the book's all about. Romance, pearls and love, and some pretty neat sunsets:-) And if she's a virgin? Well, we'll let the hero discover that for himself:-)

I think the title gods got it right this time. What do you think?

6 Comments:

At 8:00 AM, Blogger Jennifer Smith/Ila Campbell said...

LOVE "Love and Pearls"!!! I wanna still it!

 
At 8:01 AM, Blogger Jennifer Smith/Ila Campbell said...

Okay, I MEANT 'steal'!

 
At 11:31 AM, Anonymous Judy T said...

Having read the story and was fascinated by the pearl aspect, "Love and Pearls" is a much, much better title for that story!

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger Trish Morey said...

LOL Jennifer, you can still my title, but it will steal be mine:-))

And Judy, I so agree. Just think that Love and Pearls fits beautifully. I think the Spanish titles are much more romantic generally.

Of course funny man husband comes home, takes one look and says, "Ah, a Morey Perlas" Of course, why didn't I think of that?

BTW, have to say, I just love the cover art for this book. It's certainly one of my favourites.

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

Love and Pearls -- Definitely better.

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger bridget said...

"Amor y perlas" is tasteful, understated, and to the point. So is that lovely cover. Trish, the world is your oyster!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]