site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Friday, January 05, 2007

Ringing in the New

Ringing in the New

How many of you made New Year’s resolutions this year? How many of you have broken them already? Uh, oh, I see hands. I took the easy route this year, bypassing the hard stuff (lose weight, save the world, etc.) and opted for something I think I can accomplish.

In 2007 I resolve to have more fun.

Now, living in Florida, this should be easy, what with the beach an hour away, the theme parks, etc., but you’d be surprised. The first roadblock to my plan is the day job. Some days I’m so busy I don’t break for lunch until 3:00, and a coffee break? What’s that?

Then there’s the writing. I steal what moments I can from other responsibilities (I wrote the majority of this blog in the parking lot at the bank), but the truth is, there just aren’t enough hours in the day for work, family (including the cat), laundry, shopping, cooking and all the rest. Until I get that 30 hour day I’ve been campaigning for nearly all my adult life, I’m stuck with the 24 I’ve been given. Personal research shows that one can go only so long on 5 or 6 hours of sleep a night when 8 or 9 are really needed.

So what’s a girl to do?

Remember the job jar, the one Dad used to pick the household chore he’d do each weekend?

I’m inventing the fun jar.

My plan is to list twelve fun things I’d like to do this year, one for each month (yes—just one per month. Wouldn’t want to go into fun overload, now would I?) and to make a point to take some time away from work and the computer just for myself.

I’ll bet you think this sounds easy, don’t you? Then you don’t know me very well. I’ve been a worker bee all my life. Change is hard—but maybe it can be fun, too, if you do it right. Can I do it right? Stay tuned.

What are your plans for having fun in the New Year?

1 Comments:

At 12:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think your idea is brillant and may try it myself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]