site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Thursday, December 28, 2006

Stuffed and Lovin' It

And not just from the turkey I ate. Eating is pretty much what I do when visiting family and friends in Louisiana during the holidays. Lest you think I exaggerate, allow me to share my diet since arriving.

Tuesday/Family Dinner with parents and siblings: Boiled Large Shrimp, Fried Turkey, Dressing, Corn Casserole, hot rolls, green beans, cranberry relish, sweet gherkins. Dessert choices: Hummingbird Cake, Date Nut Cake (kissing cousin to fruitcake), peanut blossoms, chocolate chip cookies, cranberry walnut cookies, Russell Stover chocolates, lemon meringue pie, or sweet potato pie.

Wednesday/Breakfast with Family: Homemade Buttermilk Waffles, Pork Sausage, Real Maple Syrup.

Wednesday/Lunch in the French Quarter at the Redfish Grill: appetizers: coconut shrimp, BBQ oysters, alligator sausage. Main course: Baked fish over potatoes and asparagus with a red wine reduction sauce. Dessert: chocolate bread pudding. YUM!

Wednesday/Afternoon Snack at the Blane Kern Mardi Gras World tour: slice of Gambino's King Cake

Wednesday/Early Evening Snack at Cafe Du Monde: an order of Beignets and Cafe au Lait

Wednesday Evening Cocktail at Mom and Dad's: Brandy Alexander

To counterbalance the effects of all this gastric indulgence, I did not go power walking like I should this morning, but I did choose raisin bran over bacon and eggs for breakfast. My willpower didn't last much longer. Yes, I went out to lunch again--canneloni and caesar salad at a new Italian restaurant in my hometown. It was very tasty. I'm already figuring out which sandwich shops have reopened so I can scarf down a muffleta or shrimp po-boy for lunch tomorrow.

So if you ever wondered if Louisianians still love their food as much as they profess to, the answer is a resounding YES. As the saying goes, "The rest of the world may eat to live, but in New Orleans, we live to eat!" That's something Katrina hasn't changed.

1 Comments:

At 7:14 PM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

Sounds delicious, Maureen.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]