site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Sunday, December 10, 2006

Oblivious under the mistletoe

Every year about this time, my parents tell the story about the year my dad played Santa at the company party. I waited in line with the other kids, took my seat on his knee, and rattled off my list, completely unaware that was my dad beneath the beard and suit. A ho-ho-ho, ha-ha-ha situation.

Understatement alert: I've never been known for my talents as an observer. In fact, I'm the most oblivious person I've ever met. The first to trip over the uneven pavement, the last to catch on to a joke, the world's worst witness to anything. So every time I hear someone say that writers are true observers of life, I cringe and hope no one looks in my direction.

Maybe the reason I'm so oblivious to what's going on around me is because I spend so much time living inside my own head, caught up in my imaginary worlds. Not much of an excuse, but now that I'm writing, it might be a handy one to whip out. Walked into the screen door again? Hey, creative talent at work here!

How about you? Are you a people-watcher or a daydreamer?

7 Comments:

At 6:39 AM, Blogger Theresa N. said...

Put me in the daydreamer group. I've bumped my head so many times from not paying attention, my husband says he's going to buy me a football helmut to wear.

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Terry McLaughlin said...

Theresa--a football helmet? LOL! But it's a good idea :-).

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Daydreamer here. I paint every scene the way I want it to look. Don't ever ask me to describe a crime scene...I was probably looking at the daisies.

Karen

 
At 11:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a relief to know it isn't only me! I'm aware of the most subtle details, but ask me about a general observation and my mind goes blank. It's a little unnerving when I'm out cycling, and I suddenly realize that I've been so wrapped up in my thoughts that I have no memory of the previous two miles. Definitely a daydreamer.

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger Diane Gaston said...

Judy, I used to forget where I was when i was driving home from work!

 
At 2:06 PM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

I think I'm a bit of both. I do run into door facings a lot, or the occasional table corner, but I think that's just because I'm a klutz. :)

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

Once again I can sooo relate with this, Terry. I am the most unobservant person in the world. I'm always the last to notice a new haircut on someone or a new piece of furniture at a friend's house. I have to admit I used to worry about this since I always heard that writers were the most observant. I could watch a crime happen in slow motion and I still wouldn't be able to pick out the criminal!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]