site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step

My oldest son, Jesse, graduated from USC in 2002. After working in Redondo Beach and then San Francisco for a few years, he quit his job and set off to see some of the world! Over the past four months he’s been to China, Bali, Indonesia, Thailand, Laos, and he spent Christmas and the New Year in India. Right now he's on a three day camel safari.

Jesse has a traveling spirit. He likes to immerse himself in other cultures. With little money in his pocket and few items in his backpack he sets off for far off places. Jesse sends me updates along with pictures of acquaintances he’s met along the way. His free spiritedness has given me glimpses of life beyond my own little world, glimpses of the beauty and sadness in places I’ll probably never see for myself. It’s a lot of fun to see the world through his eyes.

How about you or your kids? Have you been bitten by the travel bug? If so, where have you been? Where would you like to go?

4 Comments:

At 9:01 AM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

Jennifer, I'm jealous. If I get to one third of the places you've been before I die, I will be happy!

 
At 10:17 PM, Blogger Diane Gaston said...

I am such a coward, although I have loved the places I've traveled. There are certain places I would fear traveling, so I admire your son. As a mother, I would worry....but I'd be proud, too.

 
At 7:18 PM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

Jesse sounds like a really cool person. I wish I was half as adventurous. I do love to travel, but I'm more of a domestic, car-trip type person. I love to take the back roads and see the small towns as well as the big cities. There is so much still to see in the U.S. that I haven't seen.

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

Good point, Trish. I have lived in California all of my life, but I have never been to Yosemite. So many things I haven't seen that are right here in my backyard. I finally spent a weekend in San Francisco a few months ago and I had a wonderful time!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]