site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Monday, December 18, 2006

Finding The Story Map

When I wrote my September blog, I was wrestling with a particularly difficult story, titled BERRY’S LICK, which came to me with a heavy but intriguing backstory. The story just didn’t seem to fit the structure I’d used in the past.

Truncating the backstory and feeding the events into the contemporary story didn’t seem to be working. The story clearly had two parts, separated by a period of twenty-five years. I considered what I knew of my story and wondered if I had two stories, which should be told separately. But after making two attempts, I realized the two parts were clearly dependent on each other and needed to be told together. The resolution of part one will coincide with the climax and resolution of part two . . . at least I think that’s the plan--only the story angels know for sure. Check the blog in February. I’ll let you know how it comes out.

I’ve been flirting with mainstream elements in my last four manuscripts. There’s been a tug-of-war going on between my romance roots and my need to tell stories with a broader focus. I seem to be drawn to casts of a thousand with interconnecting relationships. I finally crossed the line in BERRY’S LICK, thanks to the nagging angels. It turns out, the story they sent along is a much more interesting version than the one I'd first imagined. Story angels are very adept at keeping secrets. I can’t wait to see how the story is going end. I’m here to encourage you to have faith in the story you are given and be open to new possibilities. The process will not fail you.

I will leave you with these words from Eric Maisel, creativity coach and author of FEARLESS CREATING and DEEP WRITING. “Go deep and try to tell the truth. Dig in, put on your writing clothes, grab your favorite pen and immerse yourself in the process.” If your story angels saddle you with a story that doesn’t fit a simple structure, I encourage you to open yourself up to other alternatives.

I’m looking forward to many magical pre-dawn mornings where I can write by the light of my Christmas tree with my story angels to guide me.

Happy Holidays.

Lorelle

3 Comments:

At 7:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Lorelle. This was a very timely post for me, as I'm struggling with the first manuscript I've ever considered might be a real book and not just a story in my head. I've noticed that keeping myself open to unlooked-for possibilities does open interesting avenues, but reading your blog is validation for me. Good luck with your story/stories!

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger Sandy Blair said...

Lovely posting, Lorelle. Thanks. I needed it as I struggle with this dealine.

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

I'm glad you're loving the story, and I'm sure it's going to be fabulous.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]