site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

2007 Indulgences

by Ila Campbell

I was cruising the blogs today, looking to see if there was any post-Christmas activity going on, and saw that Jennifer Crusie (http://jennycrusie.blogspot.com/) had put up a new posting on hers. She decided that in addition to making New Year’s Resolutions this year, she was going to also make up a list of New Year’s Indulgences – things she was going to do this year just because she wanted to. Things that would mean just pure pleasure for her.

What a great idea! Usually New Year’s is a time for looking back at the things you didn’t do and resolving to do better, but honestly, how many of those things are we then able to cross off our lists? Don’t you think we’d be much happier with ourselves if we promised some time to do some indulging? Don’t you think there’d be a much higher success rate from that list?

So in that spirit, here’s my list of indulgences for 2007.

*Get out my batik supplies and do a few paintings. I started out in art, and I realized I am starving for the feeling of accomplishment that completing an artwork can bring. Manuscripts take me months/years to complete, but I’m much faster on the painting front.

*Take a few writing weekends with my buddy, no matter what my school schedule looks like – students can wait an extra three days to get their papers back. I will be guilt-free!

*Finish the rag rug my daughter and I started and left half-finished.

*Buy some truly decadent bath beads and enjoy a pressure-free soak every two weeks, tops!

*Get a massage at least once a month.

*Go see a movie at least once every two months (that used to be easy, but for some reason I stopped doing that).

So there’s what I’ve come up with so far. At least what I’ve thought of to date. The great thing with indulgences is you can keep adding to the list (another indulgence!!)

So, what are yours?

5 Comments:

At 9:00 AM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

Jennifer, great idea! I want to take more time for reading in 2007. I would like to go hiking, too, and travel to one awesome place I've never been. That should do it! Thanks for the fun post.

 
At 5:35 PM, Blogger Diane Perkins said...

Is it a resolution or an indulgence? I, too, resolve to read more this year, particularly reading more fiction. I am a real slacker in that area.
Maybe if I think of it as an indulgence, I'll be more successful at it!

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger Delle Jacobs said...

Wonderful thought, Jennifer! I don't usually do resolutions bevcause they never seem to work out for me. But I do look at goals and dreams, which I see as entirely different things. It's fun to look back on that list at the end of the year and see how they have changed and progressed.

I've been thinking about that trip to England since the Regency Smugglers' Tour turned out to be not enough of what I wanted, and today I surfed around the net looking for good airfares. That would definitely fall into the Indulgences category.

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger MaryF said...

I saw that blog, too, and was going to use it on NYD.

I want to read more, crochet more, go on more day trips.

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

All these sounds great. Like the others, I've actually put reading at least one book a week (I'm slow) on my list. I think when we become writers, we read less. That's sad because we were readers first.

I also want to travel. We'll see how the finances work out for that. And I plan to drag my cross-stitching back out and work on that at least once a week.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]