site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Writing is just like rowing – I bet you never knew that! by Trish Morey

Like most writers I know, I love reading. I love to find a great book, a simply unputdownable book, and get transported away with the characters, the setting and with their situation. I will fly through it, relishing every word, eating up the prose until, with a final sigh of satisfaction tinged with disappointment, the book is finished. Those books, those fast reading, page-turning, non-trip-uppable stories that flow like ribbons through your mind’s eye, they must be easy to write – right?

Wrong. As someone once said, easy reading is hard writing.

It’s like that with rowing. I used to row many moons ago, in single and double sculls, and in a four when I lived back in Canberra, Australia’s capital city. I used to head lakewards around 5am every morning and slap my boat onto the mirror finish water and row for an hour or more, covering kilometers at a time. But when I first started, I could barely balance in my narrow scull with its long fine oars. I used to wobble my way around the bay, too scared to venture outside, in case the worst happened and I was dumped into the freezing waters. A lot like when I started writing. I wasn’t game to send my first tentative words away to contests and risk being torn to shreds.

But gradually, the confidence to exit that bay built up, much as my confidence to send my work out to editors and contests slowly grew. I still wasn’t rowing well. I certainly didn’t have great technique and there were many a time my blade would dig in way too deep and I’d in rowing terms “catch a crab” and stop dead in the water. In writing I’d catch a rejection. Lots and lots of rejections. I won a few races as a novice sculler, and boy, did that lift the spirits. I won a few writing contests. I had great rowing coaches. In writing I had critique groups and fabulous writing colleagues.

I used to love skating over the millpond surface of the lake on those frosty morning, like a water insect darting over the surface and I did pretty well, actually made it to a couple of Nationals downunder although I never brought home a medal. I finalled in the Golden Heart, although the necklace eluded me.

And one day I worked out what it took to be a great rower. It was during the Olympics or the Commonwealth Games and I was watching a rower who looked so utterly relaxed and fluid as he powered his boat through the 2000 metres to win a gold medal. Just looking at him you couldn’t tell how much he was working, how much effort he was putting in when those blades dug into the water, how much it hurt when he rammed down his legs and pushed back, how much his lungs burned with the effort. He made it look so utterly easy.

And that’s the mark of a great writer too. Remember that last great book you read? You didn’t see how hard that book was to write, you didn’t feel the pain when things didn’t go well for the author, you didn’t see the blood, sweat and tears that went into its creation. What you read was smooth, fluid and seemingly effortless. It’s a worthy goal.

3 Comments:

At 3:49 PM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

Great comparison, Trish

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger Lorelle said...

You're right, Trish! Thanks for making me see another side to the sometimes agony of birthing a book. One of the most amazing books I've read is Lori Lansens' RUSH HOME ROAD. She broke all the rules but it worked beautifully for me. I still can't figure out how she did it.

Lorelle

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger Jeff said...

I like the quotes. check my blog it has wet in the name Wet stick Surfer COOL HUH!!!

Jeff

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]