site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Thursday, October 19, 2006

What I like doing in bed


Unlike my heroes and heroines I lead a very boring life, even--or particularly--in bed. But it's one of my favorite places, particularly at this time of year when the nights are getting a bit chilly. We're only just past the equally delicious late summer nights where you wake up shortly before dawn and retrieve the duvet from the bottom of the bed--nothing like a down duvet--and snuggle under it.

It's almost as good as leaving the alarm set on a Saturday morning because you know you don't have to get up. I've dreamed luxuriantly through some rather obscure NPR programming at that hour. Reading in bed is particularly enjoyable. As is eating ("What are all these crumbs in the bed?" "No idea..."). And being served a nice cup of morning tea, absolute bliss. I don't write in bed although I have critiqued and judged contest entries there (hard copy only).

The cat is particularly affectionate on cold nights, expanding to about three times her normal size while she's asleep--this, of course, is after she's estimated to the second when I've stopped reading and reach to turn out the light. Then she scratches at the window, squeaking piteously, and after I've let her in, takes her own special Spice Route over the bookcase, onto the bed, where she prowls in a half-circle, then a quick nose sniff (for me), neck scratch (from me), and much purring (mostly her). My even more nocturnal husband has a similar sort of routine at about five in the morning although he doesn't generally come in through the window.

The bed in the pic, by the way, is the Great Bed of Ware in the V&A Museum in London--dating from the days when strangers staying at an inn got to know each other very well at night time.

Feel free to share your bedroom habits!

Janet



Enter my contest all this month at roadtoromance.ca
DEDICATION~Winner, 2006 Golden Leaf Contest (Regency)

3 Comments:

At 7:02 PM, Blogger Diane Perkins said...

Janet, I do write in bed, one of the reasons I love my laptop. It isn't as romantic as it sounds. The bed is made and I am dresses and I have research books strewn all over it. But I get my best work done there!

(how do you get that signature line???)

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger bridget said...

Janet, I thought you were about to tell us that bed was yours-- though the little placard (?) at the foot of it seemed to suggest otherwise (I did consider and discard the notion that you are now giving tours of a Saucy Author's Bedroom). Anyway, like the bed! Liked the post, too--LOL on the amazing expandable cat!

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger Robin L. Rotham said...

LOL, Janet! I'm lying in bed, snuggling with my laptop and a cup of tea -- should I concur or commiserate?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]