site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Monday, October 02, 2006

"Take these broken wings and learn to fly..."

by Stephanie Feagan

I'm an author who recently lost my job. After selling 4 books to Silhouette Bombshell, the line folded. My 4th book, scheduled to be released in early summer, 2007, will never see the light of day. I've gotten so many lovely notes from friends and readers, expressing sympathy, encouraging me by saying I'll land on my feet, that all will be well, that when God closes a door, he opens a window. I appreciate the support.

But most people are under the assumption that I'm grieving, that I'm depressed, that I'm feeling bereft and lost.

Not hardly.

Maybe because I've been writing for so many years, been rejected and had doors slammed in my face so many times, I took the news of the demise of Bombshell as par for the course. It happens. Get over it. Move on and reinvent yourself. It's either that, or wallow in self pity and never sell another book. I'm here to tell you, I didn't write like a fiend and take 11 years to make my first sale, only to crash on the side of the road and give up at the first sign of trouble.

My agent recently sent out a new project that I began back in April, one that I'm excited about and have high hopes for. If it doesn't sell, I'll be terribly disappointed. But I'll move on to the next project. I've been asked to write a proposal to continue the series I began within Bombshell, but can't be continued because the line folded. If the proposal meets with approval, I'll be published in single title. Nothing bad about that. Had I not sold to Bombshell, and if the line hadn't folded, I wouldn't have this opportunity. A window opened and I'm flying through it, mucho pronto.

I have no patience for whiners and complainers. Life throws a lot of doo-doo our way and we can either walk about covered in crap, or dodge it and carry on. I for one, don't want to be stinky, so I ducked.

I'm laughing at myself right now, sounding so noble and brave. I can't say I was unaffected by what happened - I'd be lying. One of the aspects of Bombshell's demise that bothers me most is how it affected my editor, Natashya Wilson. Bombshell was her baby, and she tended to it carefully, with wisdom and love and passion. That the line folded breaks my heart for her. She had a dream and a door was slammed in her face. Natashya is not only my editor, she is my friend, and no one wants to see their friend hurt.

However, I have no doubt Natashya will find an open window and fly through it gracefully. My hope is that we can continue to write books together - I deeply suspect she makes me a better writer. But no matter, she will always be my friend.

Have a great day! I'm off to write that proposal and see if I can make it through the window....

5 Comments:

At 2:55 PM, Blogger Diane Perkins said...

Way to go, Steph! This is a very precarious business, fraught with unforeseen dangers, like lines folding or contracts not renewed. The only thing we can truly control is the writing. And that is only limited by our imaginations.
Here's to that open window!!

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

Love the attitude, Stef. You know I think your new project rocks, so here's to it selling -- and selling huge!

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger Prisakiss said...

Fly, baby, fly!! I know you'll be soaring with eagles. SOON!!

I love your attitude. And though I know I've said this before, it bears repeating-- you are an inspiration to me.

Hugs,
Pris

 
At 10:06 PM, Blogger Stephanie Feagan said...

Thanks Diane and Trish and Pris. I've said it before, and I'll say it again and again - I'd never have sold without the WNP. You guys always have my back, so I'm willing to take a leap.

Big love to all of you....

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger Mo H said...

I agree with Pris, you are an inspiration! In August, I decided to try a new direction, YA. Every time I feel a little trepidation, I think "What would Stef do?" and I push myself harder.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]