site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Friday, September 15, 2006

Lately I've been goofing off, playing Word Whomp on Pogo.com instead of writing. Why? I'm not sure. My brain has been foggy, keeping me from doing important things like my online class, making even reading emails difficult much less writing. But the GH is coming up and I'm determined to have a new book ready to enter.

Thank God for JoAnn (Finish the da*n book!) Ross and Alesia Holiday. JoAnn asked Alesia to come talk to her group this week, to answer questions. Since I'd been stuck on this book for a while, I asked Alesia about her process for starting a new WIP. One thing she said really made a difference. She said she always asks herself two things about her main characters. What do they want the most, and what do they fear the most. Bingo! I had no idea for these characters. I had to put my thinking cap on and get into those characters' heads to find out. Because, really, what motivates us more than our desires and our fears? How many decisions do we make based on those two things? Most of them, I'd bet.

And when you read, what do you identify most with in those characters? Their desires, and their fears. Right?

So far today I've made a deal with a friend to require 5 pages a day from me or kick my ass if I don't send them. I made revisions to the beginning of the book based on her great suggestions, and wrote 5 new, fresh pages. Now I can't wait to send those to her in the morning to get her feedback.

It's amazing how one little bit of help can open the floodgates. This is why I love romance writers. They come to the rescue with advice and help when an author is in distress.

4 Comments:

At 11:29 PM, Blogger Mo H said...

Yay, Pam! I'm so glad you're back writing. I bet they were great pages, too!

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger Esri Rose said...

Very cool. Those dry spells are tough, and it's such a relief when you get over them.

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

Great going! I hope the pages keep flowing.

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger MJFredrick said...

Good luck, Pam!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]