site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

The Dangers of Writerdom

by Ila Campbell

I can't even remember what I had planned to write about in this month's blog, because it all disappeared in the last few days when my computer decided to try and kill me.

That's right, it has either taken out a contract on me or has been hired to do so, because in the last few weeks it has determinedly been out to get me.

Now, I've done everything right, mind you. I've got the screen far enough away from my eyes. I've been doing yoga for a year to keep my neck and shoulder muscles from cramping from all my time at my desk. I have my mouse on a low pad to assist blood flow and reduce carpal tunnel. I had five, count 'em, FIVE session with a Rolfer this summer to straighten out my muscle and fascia problems (If you don't know about Rolfing, check out http://www.rolf.org/ -- trust me, is it ever worth it!!!!).

And yet, despite all these precautions, I've been attacked. Last Sunday I had to spend about 8 straight hours at the computer editing documents for my husband's company, for a total of 120 single-spaced pages. Okay, they weren't straight hours. I took 15 minute breaks occassionally to cover my eyes with a cold pack because they were crossing with greater and greater regularity. By the time I'd finished, my eyelids were covered with red and purple markings, and by morning were swollen. The muscles in my neck and shoulders got so tight, I pinched a nerve in my neck the next day by reaching for a door handle. The pinched nerve burst a few capillaries in one earlobe so it looks like it's been gnawed on (without the fun part of getting it), and I am fighting tension migraines while trying to grade 75 student essays by tomorrow.

And to top it all off, I had a blog due today!

But I gave my computer notice. I'm not quitting writing, no matter how hard it tries to stop me. In fact, if it doesn't ease up, I'm going to start writing digital serial killers and make it my first victim.

Die, IBM spawn, die.

Now watch, this is going to get deleted before I can...

2 Comments:

At 10:55 AM, Blogger Mo H said...

I think your computer has a brother or sister with a similar mission here in Atlanta. My husband swears his computer is out to get him, too!

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

Sorry to hear about all the body aches and pains. Give that computer a good smack upside the monitor.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]