site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Sunday, August 06, 2006

Music for a Saturday

by Colleen Gleason


This month in the Wet Noodle Posse August ezine, the Noodlers weigh in with our favorite things to do on a Saturday morning.

In case you didn't notice, you'll see that for the vast majority of us, whatever it is (sex, reading, conversation, snoozing) involves staying in bed as late as possible.

However, at some point we have to get up and get the day going. For many of us, Saturdays are cleaning days. At least it is for me. (Argh.)

The only thing that gets me to going is playing the right kind of music, blasting it through the house.

So...that got me to thinking about the realm of appropriate music for a Saturday, and I made a list of the music I always seem to play during certain times.

Call it my comfort music, if you will. (I blogged about Comfort Reads earlier this week, too.)

So, here's my Comfort Music list--I'll share mine if you share yours!

1. Music I like to clean house to: AC/DC-Back in Black or Liz Phair-Liz Phair

2. Music while I'm cooking a special dinner: Two Rooms (A Tribute to Elton John & Bernie Taupin) or The Phantom of the Opera Soundtrack (the London version)

3. Music to play at an appropriate volume during the special dinner: The Hannah & Her Sisters soundtrack, Frank Sinatra, or Pat Metheny-Travels

4. Music to play when I want to feel sexy: Jeff Buckley, James Blunt

5. Music to play when I want to dance around like a madwoman: Madonna

6. Music when I'm mad: Alanis Morrisette's You Oughta Know (of course) and Ben Folds Five's Song for the Dumped.

Now it's your turn. What music do you tend to gravitate to when you're in a certain mood, or have to do a certain task?

10 Comments:

At 4:37 PM, Blogger Diane Gaston said...

I have about 4 CDs that I purchased in England that have music of the Regency period. I used to listen to them while I wrote.
But then I got the house painted and I put them away in a very special place--so special I can't find them to save my life!
So guess I have to just listen to Phantom of the Opera (movie version)
"Nighttime sharpens, heightens each sensation....."

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger MJFredrick said...

For me, I should change the title of Don't Look Back to Point of No Return - I listened to that song over and over for that book!

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger Colleen Gleason said...

Wow, the Noodlers could start our very own GB/Phantom fan club!

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

I love movie soundtracks. I have tons of them, everything from Last of the Mohicans to Underworld: Evolution and everything in between. I tend to like Celtic music when in a mellow mood, but I'm a big hard rock/metal fan too and listen the the Underworld soundtrack or something like Evanescence, Nickelback or Metallica. Lately, I've had a three-CD rotation -- the soundtracks to Angel, Buffy the Vampire Slayer and the Buffy "Once More With Feeling" musical episode.

 
At 10:37 PM, Blogger Prisakiss said...

Fun blog, Colleen! Music evokes so many different emotions.

Phantom? LOVE IT!! Can't write to it, though, because I get lazy and start singing along.

When I'm cleaning, I love to listen to the Go-Gos! Keeps me motivated and boppin' around the house.

When I'm cooking, I love to listen to Gloria Estefan, Christian Castro, Luis Miguel or Elvis Crespo. Something about cooking brings out my latina roots. :-)

But when I'm writing, I listen to movie sound tracks or cds like Il Divo or Josh Groban where most of the songs are in a foreign language. That way, the words don't get in my way and I can just go with the "feel" of the song. I love the music from A Walk in the Clouds and Dying Young. I'm trying to find the soundtrack to the Annette Benning/Warren Beatty version of An Affair to Remember. Something about the music just spoke to me.

Phantom (yes, I'm back to it), along with Les Miserable, is just so freakin' powerful, I get goose bumps listening to it. My girls and I love to sing along, pretending we're Christine or Cossette or Eponine. Oh, to sound as good as we "think" we sound when we're driving around in my van. :-)

 
At 10:51 PM, Blogger Tori Scott said...

I rarely get to listen to music anymore now that dh and I are together basically 24-7. Our tastes in music are vastly different and he doesn't like to listen to mine. But late at night when I'm writing and he's gone to bed I sometimes listen to my playlist on my computer, which includes everything from late 60's/early 70's music to recent Christian music.

Now if I could just figure out how to get my Steve Green tapes converted to digital....

 
At 2:06 PM, Blogger Anne Mallory said...

Trish, I love movie soundtracks too. Have you tried The Mission? It's fantastic and haunting.

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger Sandy Blair said...

Oh my. Finding that hunk in my bed would have certainly have kept me there. As it is, I'm up and and at the computer...enjoying the silence. How y'all listen to music is beyond me.

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger MJFredrick said...

The one I want now is Pirates. And Grey's Anatomy.

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Esri Rose said...

Colleen, I just bought two CDs from OK Go, because of a YouTube video my Mother sent me. And because I then went to Amazon and listened to samples. You can watch the video for "Here it goes Again" on their site. http://www.okgo.net/video.asp

It's an entire dance routine, on treadmills.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]