site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Blog Day Afternoon by Trish Morey

The end of he month already? How did that happen? And as usual, the blog fairies have left me completely devoid of ideas. Or maybe it was revisions on my latest manuscript. Revisions can do that to a girl, trust me.

But I'm not going to leave you without making a small contribution. I heard a fantastic quote the other day and I actually printed it out and stuck it to my computer monitor, so I can't lose it (that's the theory anyway - I'm still looking for the last thing I stuck on there...) Here it is, for all you struggling writers out there...

"Writing a novel is hard work... You have to work long and hard even to produce a bad one. This may help explain why there are so many more bad amateur poets around than there are bad amateur novelists... any clown with a sharp pencil can write out a dozen lines of verse and call them a poem. Not just any clown can fill 200 pages with prose and call it a novel. Only the more determined clowns can get the job done... Let's not kid ourselves. It does take self-discipline."
From Lawrence Block's - "Writing the Novel" p 119

I think anyone who has completed at least one novel deserves to give themselves a pat on the back right now. Determined clowns. I like that:-)

2 Comments:

At 10:42 PM, Blogger Mo H said...

I'm patting!

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger Kiki, aka Esri said...

What face does a "determined clown" paint on? I'm thinking something with little lines between the eyebrows.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]