site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Friday, July 14, 2006

Time for Reading

In the past few weeks members of the Posse have been sharing with each other the titles of the books that they have finished reading. During that time I have managed to read one book, and I'm feeling sad that I've only read one while others have read several. I used to be a prolific reader, but now my time is tied up in writing deadlines. I have a stack of books on my desk as high as my computer monitor that are waiting to be read. I have books on shelves throughout the house that I want to read. I keep a book in my car for those times when I get stuck somewhere and need something to do. I even have a book in the chest in my bathroom that gets read on occasion. The car book is a series of short stories, and the bathroom is a non-fiction book. I chose these books specifically for those places because it is easy to pick them up and continue reading even though many days have passed since the last time I looked at them.

I miss having time to read. I want to know how others find time to read. I've considered carving out an hour of time each day for reading, but I never stick to it. At this time in my life, it's reading or excercise. I can't seem to fit in both. I don't watch television except the news while I eat my breakfast and lunch each day. I'm a slow reader even though I took one of those speed reading courses before I went to college. It didn't make me a faster reader. As I've always said, I like to savor the words because I know an author spent time picking just the right word to use in that sentence.

Maybe someone will give me some suggestions on how to lower that pile of books that keeps getting higher other than giving them away. In the meantime, I'll keep reading when I can steal a few minutes in the car or the bathroom or more likely in an airport or airplane when I make a trip. I have a lot of Noodler books to read not to mention the other authors I love.

Merrillee

5 Comments:

At 9:52 PM, Blogger Tori Scott said...

I have a hard time finding time to read too. It usually happens at the expense of writing time, but since I'm unpubbed, I can do that. I love to read while I eat. (yes, bad manners.) I miss the days when I could go out to lunch by myself and read for 45 minutes straight.

Now I lock the bathroom door, climb in the claw foot tub with a glass of iced tea and a good book, and I don't come out until I'm good and ready. :)

 
At 7:59 AM, Blogger Colleen Gleason said...

I read at lunch every day--whether I eat at home or at a restaurant.

And I read every night before I go to bed.

And, like Tori, in the bath tub!!

Since my kids are all old enough to read, sometimes I make a big bowl of popcorn with real butter (yu-u-u-um!) and tell everyone to grab a book and we have "Family Reading Night" while munching popcorn. It even works for my 8 yo son!

 
At 8:52 AM, Blogger Diane Gaston said...

Remind me not to go out to lunch with you, Colleen...unless I bring my own book!
I, too, don't read as much as I used to and there are so many of my friends books I want to read. I can't even enjoy Regency Historicals the way I used to, because of writing them. Lately I've been reading books for research and that is always slow going.

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

I would have said cut out the television, but since you don't watch t.v., then yes, I would suggest carving out an hour a day. I like to read early in the morning when it's peaceful and quiet. I have replaced writing for reading, too, but since the WNP reading program started up, I've been making reading a priority in the morning and I'm glad I have!

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger MJFredrick said...

I have to read before I go to sleep, so I read for about 15 minutes before bed, and 15 minutes before my nap - more if the book grabs me.

Like Pam, I like to read in the tub. Trish has seen my tub and will probably laugh at this.

I have over 100 books in my TBR - scary, scary!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]