site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Come on, baby! Let's collage!

by Colleen Gleason

In my Writer's Life article for July's WNP, I wrote about how while we writers often have a gaggle of idea germs, it's often hard to get those "germs" to explode into full-blown plots.

(Sure, I'd like to write about a deck of haunted Tarot cards...but where do I go from there? And, oh, about a female ghostbuster during World War I...but now what?)

For some of us, creative therapy begins with a 3D effort in the form of collaging. Since I submitted the article, a few of the other Posse members have sent me copies of their own collages, and I share them with you now. (See, Kiki and I aren't the only ones who procrastinate writing by doing artsy-fartsy things!)

This first piece of artwork is for Trish Milburn's book called The Wedding Dress. Maybe she'll pop into the comments section and tell us a little about it...
















For those of you who protest: "But I flunked cutting and pasting in kindergarten!", check out Charity Tahmaseb's collage for a young adult book called The Fine Art of Holding Your Breath.

She approaches collaging in a less expensive, unique way: "I do mine all online, since I'm not very 'crafty'. No glue or cutting stuff from magazines."

So you see...there really isn't an excuse not to do it if you don't consider yourself crafty.

If you have a collage you'd like to share, make a comment and let us know. I'll get in touch and get it posted! I'd love to hear about your experiences with collaging as a writer's block cure.

9 Comments:

At 11:55 AM, Blogger Colleen Gleason said...

Go for it! And send in the collage so we can see it!

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

Am I the only one who can't see my collage? Anyway, I did it for a women's fiction book about a woman who is a dress designer who goes back to her hometown for a visit against her will.

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger Karen Erickson said...

Trish, I couldn't see your collage either. :(

But I love this idea! What fun! I think I might try it for my next book...

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger Colleen Gleason said...

Oh no!!! Well, I reloaded it and saved it differently. Hope ya'll can see Trish's lovely collage now.

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

Ah, there it is. Thanks, Colleen.

 
At 12:05 AM, Blogger Angela's Designs said...

I really enjoy making scrapbooks. I never have put together a collage for one story, but I keep images that inspire me. It would be a fun exercise.

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger Marianne Arkins said...

I have two, thanks to Charity!

Here, and here!

They can be a blast to do, and using them for my computer wallpaper is a great inspiration.

Thanks, C!

 
At 8:01 AM, Blogger Colleen Gleason said...

They're great, Marianne! Thanks for posting!

 
At 8:13 AM, Blogger Diane Gaston said...

I don't do collages in a visual way, except to collect images of my hero and heroine and some secondary characters. I write about my characters backstories, so I know who they are. It winds up to be sorta a word collage.
And then I also collect all the character names there, even the minor ones, like a servant who may appear only twice in the book. That way I keep track of everybody.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]