site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Thursday, June 29, 2006

What's cuter than seven wiener dogs?

by Norah Wilson


I was casting around the other day for a blog subject when my friend and fellow romance writer Alice Duncan sent me a picture of herself walking seven wiener dogs. Eureka! After all, what’s cuter than seven wiener dogs? (Okay six wiener dogs and one wiener dog wannabe.)

But if we look beyond the undeniable cuteness of a pack of short-legged canines, there is a serious subject here. Animal rescue. You see, only three of these dogs belong to Alice. The other four are fosterlings. Alice is providing a loving foster home for these displaced pets while the folks at the New Mexico Dachshund Rescue try to find permanent homes for them.

I have long been a fan of adopting adult dogs from animal shelters. The puppies always seem to get snapped up, but the older dogs are a harder sell. My current dog Bandy was an adult rescue. He was a stocky 5-year-old mixed breed when we took him home, and he’s now a very full-figured 15-year-old. But it never occurred to me that I could foster a dog, sparing it from the stress of life in a crowded shelter while it awaits permanent placement. At this stage, my Bandy is too old and fragile to have a boisterous young companion around, but when he’s gone and I have a younger/hardier dog, I would definitely consider fostering other dogs.

If you think you might be interested in providing a foster home for a dog, check out this site. You can browse by breed (every purebred breed seems to have its own rescue league), or you can check out organizations that deal with all breeds/mixed breeds.

In the meantime, if you just want to check out more cute wiener dog pictures, check out the photos at Alice’s website. I’m trying to decide what’s cuter: wiener dogs in a pile on the couch or wiener dogs dressed up for Mardi Gras. What do you think?

6 Comments:

At 8:17 AM, Blogger Bonnie Vanak said...

Hooray for you and Alice and everyone who adopts and rescues dogs! And those weiners and the weiner-wanna be are absolutely precious!

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

So cute! We have friends who rescue and foster a lot of dogs, but now I can't remember the breed.

 
At 4:31 PM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

Very cute weiner dogs and a great reminder to go to the shelter for a pet!

Cute pictures!

 
At 7:30 AM, Blogger Diane Perkins said...

Norah, my sister just told me she is getting her "home study" interview to see if she is accepted to be a Yorkshire Terrier rescue person. She has 3 Yorkies, which I think is excessive. Three cats are not excessive, mind you, but DOGS...well. Anyway, I asked her, "Won't it be humiliating if you fail the home study?" She said, "How can I fail? I have Yorkie stuff everywhere." It's true. Yorkie figurines, Yorkie pillows, coasters, magnets, tote bags, etc etc. Her little darlings often show up with bows in their hair or scarves around their necks. Wierd.

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger Mo H said...

They're adorable. I'm partial to the weiner dogs dressed up for Mardi Gras.

 
At 4:03 PM, Blogger Kiki, aka Esri said...

Weiners in Mardi Gras beads are the cutest. They look so PROUD.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]