site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Sunday, June 11, 2006

A summer of (un)fortunate events

by Charity Tahmaseb

This month, I wrote about encouraging reluctant readers in the Wet Noodle Posse ezine. On Friday, my son came home from his last day at school with not one, not two, but three different summer reading programs.

That’s a lot of reading programs. But I appreciate the effort. One of those programs might just hold the key to a summer’s worth of reading. And one of them I’m happy to share with everyone, or at least kids in first through sixth grade.

Barnes and Noble is sponsoring a Summer of Unfortunate Events reading program. And if you (or rather, your child in first - sixth grade) read eight books, you get one for free. This worries my son Andrew. He’s afraid kids will skip reading the books and simply fill in the form to get a free one. So don’t, okay?

Right now he’s reading football books and books on fossils/rocks/minerals. I’m reading young adult titles, my daughter Kyra is all about the princesses.

So what’s on your summer reading list?

4 Comments:

At 10:04 PM, Blogger Jennie Lucas said...

Hmmm ... I can't imagine that anyone would pretend to read books in order to win a new book. Because if you can't even bother to read the ones you've got, why would you want another one? So I don't think your son needs to worry, Charity.

On my summer reading list ... well, I just got Trish Mo's newest, Terry McLaughlin's Learning Curves, and recently ordered the entire backlist of historical author Gaelen Foley. She's amazing.

Also, I just ordered The Hot Mom's Handbook. Obviously, I'm feeling overly optimistic, or maybe I just need a voyeuristic zing of hope for getting my groove back sometime next year. I'm not even three months pregnant, but already feel like Frump City, mostly because I just don't feel like bothering to fix myself up. I'd rather take a nap ... or read a book.

 
At 6:58 AM, Blogger bridget said...

When I was a kid, I used to worry about the same thing! I was very rules-based =)

Other than my wonderful WNP books, I'm going on a quest to re-discover old works by great romance writers like Loretta Chase, Shana Abé, Katherine Kingsley, and and Antoinette Stockenberg's old paranormals. It's really a lot of fun, and I *wish* they would keep these things in print.

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

Me, too! I have a zillion Noodler books to read over the summer. I also have Rachel Gibson's newest and The Secret Life of Bees, and too many others to name. We should have a WNP reading program where we have to log in a book after we've finished it. :)

Happy reading! Theresa

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

Theresa, that's a fabulous idea. (Hmm, Trish thinking.)

My goal is to get all caught up on my Noodler book reading this summer. I also want to read several YA books, particularly Newbery Medal winners, to be inspired as I revise the YA I'm writing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]