site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Friday, February 03, 2006

Submission

No, I'm not talking about bowing down to one's husband or wife...although that does bring some interesting thoughts to mind. But in this case, I'm referring to the ole writing submissions. Yesterday my agent sent out my new proposal and since that time I've found myself wondering---Does it ever get any easier? I mean, I have a book on the shelves, it shouldn't be so difficult sending my new baby out into the big, bad world of editors, right????

Wrong. I've talked to several multipublished authors about this and they all agree--it doesn't get easier. Certainly, I don't think this time is any less harrowing than with Jane Millionaire. Possibly it's more so, truth be told. Expectations are there and higher than in the past, but all the old fears along with lots of new ones.

I believe it's because with each new project there's a new piece of your heart, your psyche involved. Like with sending your children out into the world, each child is different and thus you have different worries, different things that tug at your heart. You love them all, but know each story has different strengths and weaknesses.

What do you think?

1 Comments:

At 9:13 PM, Blogger Diane Gaston said...

Janice, it does get a little easier, but I'm still new enough to sorta think the dream is going to disappear and I'll wake up in my old life.

I do have more confidence in my writing, although that can be shaken by a nine page revision letter!!

There may be security for a few of us. I have to think Nora doesn't worry as much, but I'll bet she stews over a story until she feels she can get it right.

Diane

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]