site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Musings about IQ, jobs and Valentine's Day

by Pam Payne aka Tori Scott

Since I was in need of a distraction–aka procrastination–I went and tried out this IQ thing at http://www.blogthings.com/quickanddirtyiqtest/. Here’s what they had to say about me:

Your Logical Intelligence is Below Average

Your Verbal Intelligence is Genius

Your Mathematical Intelligence is Genius

Your General Knowledge is Exceptional

Okay, I’ll agree with the last three, but below average on LOGIC? Me? The one who can never win an argument with my oh-so-logical youngest daughter? Hmmm.

Then I tried out the one on what my major should be. Yes, I already have my
college degree–for all the good it’s done me–but for the sake of procrastination,
I tried it anyway. My results:

You are great at looking at many details and putting them all together.

You are talented at detecting subtle trends, accuracy, and managing change.

You should major in:

Statistics
Speech
Conflict studies
Communication
Finance
Medicine

Think the AMA would consider that proof enough of my qualifications if I decided to hang up a shingle and call myself a doctor? No? Pity. I could use the money.

I’ve been looking for a job off and on for about 5 years. I live in Podunk, Texas where the best paying jobs are at Wal-Mart ($6 an hour) or Burger King ($5.50 an hour). I’m sorry. I’m 51 years old, have started two highly successful day care centers (the value of hindsight–never should have quit either of those jobs), I have bills to pay. We need to eat. My property taxes are higher than my salary would be. I am not going to commit 40 hours a week to a job that pays me like a high school student. So I keep looking. And looking. And looking.

Maybe I should try writing. And writing. And writing. Instead of sitting here poring over want ads. Ya think?

On another note, yesterday, in case you missed it, was Valentine's Day. The day for lovers. So what if it's actually a celebration of a guy's death? Hallmark has made it THE day for lovers. And for cheaters. Did you know Valentine's Day is the hottest day in the year for private investigators? That's when those cheating spouses have to see both lovers, which makes it easy to follow them and catch them in the act.

It's also probably the highest-stress day for husbands. Especially those who have been married a long time and still haven't the faintest clue that a bunch of flowers and a card would send their
spouse over the moon. It was all I could do to keep the dh from buying me chocolate--his standby gift because he can never think of anything else and can't understand why on earth I'd want him to spend $5 on flowers that will die in a few days. I talked him into going out to eat Mexican food for lunch instead. I should have gone for the chocolate. I was still burping those fajitas at 10 p.m.

Next year, I'm sending myself a dozen carnations and a chocolate rose.

7 Comments:

At 8:39 AM, Blogger Diane Gaston said...

Okay, Pam,
My feeling about this test is--I want to be a genius in everything (and I wasn't)
Good luck on the job hunt.
Diane

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

I would like to know what it is in a guy's genetic code that makes them clueless about flowers and the wonder of surprises. :)

 
At 10:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tori, I wouldn't dare to take that test! But I know what you mean about the college degree--what exactly am I doing with my B.A. in French History?

I'm not going to confess how ungrateful I was for my dh's Valentine present yesterday--I feel too guilty. But you made me realize it, so thanks.

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger Tori Scott said...

A friend said her husband gave her a red apron that said, "I'm still HOT! Only now it comes in flashes." Now there's a guy with a sense of humor, and who knows that, in spite of his wife's protestations to the contrary, she still wants a gift for Valentine's Day. :)

Moonlightwilliow, don't feel guilty. Sometimes guys are just clueless, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't make the effort to get a clue.

Took a part-time job today that pays a whopping $8 an hour--big money in this part of the country. It will cost me just about as much in gas as I'll make, but could work into a salaried position in 4-6 months with a chance to move into management--if I last that long. We'll see.

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

I tried posting earlier, but here I go again! I don't think I'll take the test. I'll just assume that I am a genius in every category! LOL My husband woke me up on Valentines by shoving roses and candles pretty much in my face. Then he asked me if I'd make him breakfast. Ahhh...so romantic. :)

Good luck with your new job, Pam! That is the problem with new jobs...you usually have to start at the bottom and work up. Bummer, but the possibility of being in management in 4 to 6 months sounds promising!

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Esri Rose said...

Pam: Boy, that is fascinating about P.I.s and Valentine's Day!

Theresa: (snort!) Love that he asked for breakfast. Joe brought me flowers...and Kentucky Fried Chicken!

 
At 8:45 PM, Blogger Prisakiss said...

Pam, I was laughing so hard at your post, my girls poked their head into the room to see if I was okay. Great job!

Bummer about the job situation. Hopefully this new job will be interesting enough and worthwhile, so you can hang in there and slide right into management.

I didn't get any flowers for Valentine's Day. I just bought myself some. :-) But my hubby did get me a nice mushy card, and a gift card to Applebee's, which I'll probably use to go out to lunch with my girlfriends. What a guy! :-)

I woke up early and made chocolate-covered strawberries for the family. A little fruit and chocolate, what a way to start the day. :-)

Pris

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]