site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Monday, January 30, 2006

In Praise of the Perfect Bed and Pillow - by Trish Morey

I arrived home yesterday with my family after 18 days touring the North Island of New Zealand, and I have to say, nothing, but nothing, beats your own bed and your own pillow.

Don't get me wrong, we had a fabulous time, visiting friends in Auckland, my sister in Wellington and checking out plenty of great places in between. We spent time in the gorgeous Coromandel Peninsula, digging into the sands of Hot Water Beach to tap into the hot springs welling up below. We trekked down the hill to Cathedral Cove and splashed in the clean, fresh waves of the Pacific, and in the centre of the Island Lake Taupo and the power of the Waikato River and Huka Falls were awesome. Wellington was as beautiful as ever, its brightly painted timber houses clinging to the sides of the hills sprouting from the harbour and the shores reminding me of my recent trip to San Francisco. Rotorua and the thermal grounds with their boiling mud pools and geysers fascinated everyone in spite of the sulphur tainted air and Northland delighted all with a muscle straining journey across the Bay of Islands in a Maori canoe.

And the food! We ate fresh hoki in batter with kumara (sweet potato) chips, tucked into prawns direct from the prawn farm served on a huge platter with three different sauces, and sweated through a seafood gumbo and jambalaya to die for.

It was our best family holiday ever.

But last night, our first night at home, was simply blissful. After 18 nights on beds that were too soft, too low, too saggy, or just too ordinary for words with pillows that were flat, lumpy or just crucified your neck, being reunited with my bed and my own pillow made me realize just how Goldilocks felt finding that bed in the three bears’ house that was “just right”.

My bed. My pillow. My sanctuary.

Beds are like that. A faithful friend. Something that embraces you, night after night, warts and all, a place where you can let the cares of the day slip away as you recharge your body and your mind with a few hours of refreshing sleep. And no matter where I travel, one of my favourite places in the whole world.

1 Comments:

At 11:54 AM, Blogger Pamela Varnado said...

Hi Trish,
I can relate to your post. My husband was in the military and we lived in Germany for nine years. While I was there I traveled to lots of exotic places like Paris, Austria, and Berlin to name a few. And while I had a good time, nothing compared to the moment I slept in my again. It's the ultimate end to a great vacation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]