site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Sunday, January 22, 2006

Greetings from Debra Holland

In December, a relatively new friend sent me an email that he signed, much love and peace to you. On the first reading, I totally missed that line--a message so common at the holidays that it’s easy to overlook. It was only a few hours later, in rereading the email, that I caught the line. This time I let myself absorb what I sensed was the deep sincerity behind those words. I also felt a bit chagrined about not noticing the line in the first place.

His email started me thinking about the casual greetings and endings we all use with each other, yet take for granted.

“Dear” is a polite and formal salutation in a letter. Yet it is also a term of endearment. When the word is used in a letter to friends or family members, it has a different significance than when it’s used in a business letter. Yet I know, when I receive a letter, I read right over the “dear” greeting as if it were not there.

I often sign my letters and cards, “Love, Debra.” But I only do this with people I care about. However, the recipient probably reads the text of my message, and skims over my ending. I know I do when I receive that signature line from others. And in so doing, I miss the one word, Love, that may be the most important one on the page. Such a tiny word...such a meaningful word.

For the rest of the holiday season, and ever since, I’ve tried to pause for a moment and let the positive meaning behind the greetings and farewells sink into my psyche. And it doesn’t matter if it’s a kiss hello, a hug goodbye, an email, or a scribble on a card. I’ve found that there’s something about my slowing down and lingering on the positive message, whether physical, verbal, or written, that’s an instant stress reduction in the business of life--a double gift from the sender and a simple way to let more love into my life.

Try it. ☺

Love,

Debra Holland

2 Comments:

At 9:42 PM, Blogger Diane Gaston said...

Wise Words, Debra!
Love (!!!)
Diane

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger bridget said...

Oh, what a nice thought! Thanks for reminding us to slow down and feel the love, Debra.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]