site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Keeping the Magic

by Ila Campbell

I have the distinct feeling this is the last Christmas my daughter is going to believe in Santa Claus. It has nothing to do with her age (which is 6-1/2) and everything to do with how she reacted to Christmas morning this year.

She was the first one up, and instead of shouting and squealing and begging us to get up, she quietly tiptoed over to the tree and…

…organized the gifts so that her presents were on the right side of the tree, her brother’s on the left and the shared gifts in the middle.

This doesn’t sound so grave, but is an indication of the mindset that will bring down Santa. During her inspection, she noted the wrapping paper was divided into two types and asked me which was which.

“The red’s from Mom and Dad, and the snowmen are from Santa,” I answered.

“I’ve seen the snowmen before, haven’t I?” she replied.

Rats. “Probably. Santa used it last year, too.”

“Why would Santa use the same one for two years?”

Ummmm. “To keep it simple. That way you know which ones are from him.”

“Oh.”

About two minutes later: “You saw Santa last night, right?”

I sensed another trap. “Why do you ask?”

“You had to see him, because you wrote our names on his presents.”

“Are you sure Santa didn’t write them?”

“They look the same as the ones from you and Daddy.”

“Right. Well, I must have seen Santa last night then.”

“I knew that. This present’s a video. These are books. And I can tell by this shape it’s Polly Pockets. Can we open them now?”

Finally!

And so I believe this will be the last mystical, magical Christmas for Detective Daughter, which will be a shame. My son, I think, will last longer than six years – he lacks the analytical nature and deep-seeded need to know absolutely everything about everything.

But even though there’s a feeling of loss at having her outgrow this time of wonderment, I’m so doggone proud of how smart this girl is getting, it’s almost like a whole ‘nother gift.

I hope if she does lose the magic, she can find it again. Maybe someday she’ll become a writer like her mom, and learn to recapture that magic again on the page

I hope everyone had a joyful Christmas and that your magic lives on next year.


6 Comments:

At 5:48 PM, Blogger bridget said...

LOL! I love your daughter's detective mentality! It sort of justifies the lengths we went to this year with our five year old to keep the dream alive: distinctive Santa handwriting and totally different gift wrap etc. We'll see about next year

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger chryscat said...

My kids are still hanging onto Santa (for the most part). But the Easter Bunny? Um...no. We also had a handwriting analysis. The kids said my "E" and the Easter Bunny's looked an awful lot alike. *sigh*
Some of the innocence has left the building.
Grins*

 
At 7:41 AM, Blogger Marianne Arkins said...

Special wrapping paper, left handed writing, consciously forming my "a" with the whoozie at the top instead of just an "o" with a tail...

So far DD (almost 7 y.o.) still believes, but she is starting to question, and since I refuse to outright lie to her, I may be the one who caves.

This is w-a-a-a-y too complicated - LOL...

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

You know, I don't know if my niece still believes in Santa. Must ask my sister. I can't remember when I stopped believing in Santa, but I'm sure it was because someone at school told me.

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

Great post. I'm not sure when my kids stopped believing. Your daughter is definitely a genius detective for noticing the handwriting and the snowman paper from last year. Very cute!

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger MaryF said...

We did the special wrapping paper, too, but the son didn't notice it for awhile. I credit the y-chromosome for that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]