site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Christmas Specials

My students don't believe I lived in a time before VCRs and DVDs. They don't get my excitement when a Christmas special comes on, because most of them own the DVDs or videos.

I know it wasn't just my family who planned meals/bathtime around Christmas specials on TV. Rudolph night,

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Charlie Brown night,

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The Little Drummer Boy. Even the dh has a Little Drummer Boy story, that his mom and her boyfriend had him out, driving around, and all he wanted was to be home watching The Little Drummer Boy.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Does anyone remember the one called "The Night the Animals Talked?" It was animated, not the stop-motion. The animals in the stable were given the power of speech to spread the good news about Jesus's birth, and they were so excited, but as dawn approached, they lost the power again. I LOVED that show - I remember watching in on Christmas Eve eating in front of the TV with my brother (a VERY rare treat) - but I've only met one other person who remembers that show.

My son's favorite when he was growing up was The Grinch, the animated one. I can recite almost the whole thing, I've seen it so many times. And I love it too, probably going back to middle school, when my school put on the play and my best friend was Cindy Lou Who.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Another one I love is The Year Without a Santa Claus. The best characters are Snow Miser and Heat Miser. Remember that awful Batman and Robin movie, where Arnold Schwarzenegger was Mr. Freeze? And he loved watching Snow Miser. Best part of the movie.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Then there's Santa Claus is Coming to Town. Burgermeister Meisterburger, remember him? For some reason, though, this one has lost its appeal over countless viewings on ABC Family.

I'll admit that Frosty is my least favorite special. I didn't even watch it this year. (Yes, I'm almost 40. So what?)

Then there were the specials with the stars, like Bing Crosby. I know, I know, he wasn't a good guy, but didn't he look like a nice dad? And I remember seeing David Bowie on the special way before I even knew who David Bowie was. I still love that version of The Drummer Boy best. Everybody had specials, and they always seemed so happy.

Now we like the Christmas movies. A Christmas Story, The Santa Clause, Christmas Vacation and Jingle All the Way (yes, my son had to have a Turbo Man. They weren't that hard to find.) I always mean to watch the special romantic movies made this time of year, I just never remember to...

What are your favorite Christmas shows? Your kids?

9 Comments:

At 10:59 AM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

Great trip down memory lane. I loved many of those shows as a kid, but haven't watched them in a long time. I think A Christmas Story is really funny. You'll put your eye out! :)

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger Tori Scott said...

I remember The Night the Animals talked!! I only saw it once, though. My oldest loves White Christmas, my dh likes It's a wonderful life, even though it depresses him. I like christmas Story, but my kids don't. Oldest son always liked the Peanuts specials.

Tori/Pam

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger bridget said...

I love the original "The Bishop's Wife" with Cary Grant and David Niven and Loretta Young, I think. So funny and sweet. Cary Grant is an angel who tries to steal David Niven's wife. No contest! Poor David Niven...

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger Diane Gaston said...

But but you forgot "It's A Wonderful Life" with Jimmy Stewart, one of my favorite movies of all time. Or "Miracle on 34th Street" another one I loved.

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger MJFredrick said...

Tori, THANK YOU for not making me feel insane. I saw it twice, I think, once as a child and once as an adult.

I liked A Christmas Story, and It's a Wonderful Life, much better before they showed them so much.

I liked Miracle on 34th Street more after I went to NYC. I've not seen The Bishop's Wife (gasp - a Cary Grant movie I missed!) but I think I saw the remake with Denzel.

Here's another question - are holiday movie remakes good or bad? I LOVED Scrooged way more than A Christmas Carol.

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger Karen said...

"Emmett Otter's Jug Band Christmas" is my favorite, though I always look for "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" (the puppet one). Happy christmas to all!

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger MJFredrick said...

Emmett Otter!!! I forgot about that one! I remember reading the book with my mom.

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger Colleen Gleason said...

Oh, Mary! Your house sounds like mine did!!! Such memories. I loved the Miser brothers too--my kids have the DVD and watch it a few times a year. We keep the Christmas DVDs packed away with the decorations so we aren't tempted to watch them throughout the year.

But can you believe I have never seen It's a Wonderful Life?

Colleen

 
At 3:51 PM, Blogger MJFredrick said...

I thought of another one, though I'd watch it reluctantly because it made me sad - The House Without a Christmas Tree. I remember reading the story in school, about the girl whose father hates Christmas since her mother died, and she "wins" the classroom Christmas tree, and her dad throws a fit. Always struck me as off, because why couldn't he want to make his daughter happy? My mom could have hated Christmas because my dad left Christmas Eve, but instead she focused on making it wonderful for us.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]