site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Friday, November 04, 2005

It's that time of year again...

It's November, so that means those of us Noodlers who haven't sold yet are likely polishing and printing out our Golden Heart entries. There's nothing quite like being a Golden Heart finalist. I remember dreaming about it as if it was an impossible dream when I first started writing romance. When I finaled the first time, in 2003 -- the year of the Wet Noodle Posse, I just about passed out when I got that call telling me. When I won in 2004, I was crying so hard it was difficult to find the stage. No matter the year or the manuscripts that final, it's always a wonderful experience getting to know the other finalists, experiencing that boost in self-confidence that comes from unknown judges deeming your work worthy of a finalist spot, and the nervous-but-exciting anticipation during the National Conference which culminates in the Golden Heart and RITA (for published manuscripts) Awards Ceremony. The ceremony is our own Oscar-like night where those of us who exist in jeans, sweats and no makeup, perched in front of our computer screens most of the year, get all dolled up and enjoy the heck out of it.

So, what does a Golden Heart finalist and winner look like? I just happen to have some pictures of Noodlers from the 2005 Awards. :)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

2005 Golden Heart winner in the Traditional category Jenna gets a helping hand putting on her new Golden Heart necklace from 2003 Long Contemporary Golden Heart winner Anna DeStefano.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Noodlers who won Golden Hearts in 2005 were Delle Jacobs (who also won in 2003 and 2005), Jenna Ness, and Lorelle Marinello, who won the Contemporary Single Title category.

Good luck to all the Golden Heart entrants out there. There's only 11 days until the entry deadline!

6 Comments:

At 6:50 PM, Blogger MJFredrick said...

Crying and deaf, you mean, Trish? When you went to get your necklace?

 
At 8:22 PM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

Oh yeah, Mary blew out one eardrum, and one of my critique partners the other. :)

 
At 10:43 PM, Blogger Delle Jacobs said...

Only 11 days? Darn, that's right! But I'm not entering this year so I didn't notice. All the rest of you, get busy. I can tell you it feels great to get gaudy with gold hearts.

Delle Jacobs

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger Jennie Lucas said...

Delle, you're not entering? Why not???

I'm not entering because I've been too slacker-y (huh) this year to write a new full manuscript. It feels weird not to enter, and I'm trying not to be bummed about it. I'll feel much better if at least some of my Posse sisters final! And I'll cheer my head off for you in Atlanta!!

I blushed to see that you posted the photos of me, Trish. That was an amazing night. I was just sick with fear that they would call my name, until about an hour beforehand, when I made up my mind to enjoy the fear. Kind of like jumping out of a plane. (Something I've done, thanks to my dh.) Having Anna DeStefano put on my necklace afterward was the icing on the cake -- love her books.

I'm also struck with how different I look now. I've lost over 10 pounds since July and gone back to the blond I was born with. I still have a few pounds of baby weight to lose, but hey, I've lost almost 50, so I'm not too worried about this last bit. I figure nine months up, nine months down, right?

Off to eat more candy. *grin*

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

Oh, it's going to be sad without Delle and Jenna going for the GH this year. You both look beautiful in the picture Trish posted. Jenna, you don't look like you need to lose any weight!

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger Jennie Lucas said...

Theresa, you are so sweet! I agree with you that it will be weird for Delle not to enter ... she finals every year, it's tradition!

What category are you entering this year? (Or are you ineligible and I've just totally spaced it??)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]