site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Goals or dreams?

I've always heard that dreams are things you sit back and wish for, but goals are the dreams you actually strive to achieve. You know, come up with a game plan, then diligently work hard until you reach your goal.

I've had numerous goals: to lose weight, to be a multi-published author, to be a good wife and mother, to stop eating so many sweets, to pray more often and be more active in my church, to get better at tennis... the list goes on and on. I like to think I'm not the only one with a list of goals a mile long. A list that too often, morphs into a list of dreams, mainly because I let my life become so hectic that I lose focus of what's really important.

Case in point. I have been looking forward to my blog date since the day I picked it. I told my family, wrote it on the calendar, and had my topic ready to go (evaluating my monthly goals). Then, I promptly missed my blog date (the 13th). I can blame it on the fact I was up all night with a housefull of adolescent girls (16 plus my own 3) having a slumber party. I know, what the heck was I thinking? Brain lapse. That's all I can say. Of course, they didn't "slumber" very much. In fact, four stayed up to watch sunrise. Meaning, I stayed up to watch sunrise, too. Then I spent Sunday cleaning up, driving one child to cheerleading and one to dance, and trying to catnap in the car while I waited. None of this was anywhere near the computer.

In my mind, being tired and frazzled from the party is just an excuse for missing the blog. Everyone has a hectic life. But we still have to keep track of our responsibilites. And our goals. If we don't, we won't achieve them.

So, instead of evaluating how I'm doing with my goals this month, I'm evaluating how I'm doing with life, this month. Instead of letting life get the best of me, I'm determined to get the best out of life. I WILL be published. I WILL be a good wife and mother. I WILL get in better shape. Okay, I may not give up sweets-- hey, the holidays are upon us and I enjoy baking as much as eating :-D -- but I can cut back. Maybe.

I can do all this if I set a plan of action. It'll take some organization (ugh, something else I need to work on), some commitment, some determination and some will power. And I won't succeed right off the bat. That would be too easy. I'm prepared to have some setbacks. It'd be unrealistic to think otherwise. But I have to keep striving. Keep working. Keep having fun.

Like Pam said on Monday, I've got to have on my Big Girl panties. It's all a frame of mind. And I want my mind set on "Success"! I hope you do, to0.

Stay tuned for next month, on the 13th, when I post again. I plan to have Life by the horns. I'm sure I'll be a little dusty and beat up for trying, but I'll have a big grin on my face.

Cheers everyone!

Pris

3 Comments:

At 12:45 PM, Blogger Tori Scott said...

Pris, hon, you have more going on in your life than anyone I know. You do more for your family--you're totally involved with them instead of watching them grow up--and I'm totally in awe of you. I think we can ignore a little thing like missing a blog date in favor of throwing an awesome party for your girls. My youngest daughter always dreamed of having a mother like you.

Pam

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

Pris, you're amazing with all the things you do, but I am happy that you are so positive about your writing and devoting time to that as well. You're right -- you WILL be published.

 
At 3:29 PM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

Pris, great blog and better late than never--that's what THEY say and I think THEY are right! Life with kids is crazy stuff, especially when you're an involved parent like you are. The kids will appreciate it when they are older and they probably already do! But I know how you feel when you want to be super mom and super writer and super everything. You put a lot of pressure on yourself. It's a tough life, but a fulfilling one. We might have to set a new deadline for getting published, but that's okay as long as we get there eventually. Great post!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]